*NO* Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days 'Good-Bye, Roxas'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: Mrmilkcarton

Email:

User ID: 28401

Name of Game: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days

Name Given to arrangement :Good-Bye, Roxas

Name of Song Arranged: Xion's Theme

I've always wanted to redo a Kingdom Hearts song (I'm a huge fan of the series). I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it but when I heard this song I knew that I wanted to do a mix of electronic sounds with orchestral strings to back it up. This is how I would arrange the song if asked to do so. I decided to use a smaller orchestra rather then a full sized orchestra because I felt it would be more personal with fewer instruments. Was great practice for automating and writing each part out for each section in Midi.

Makes me want to compose a beautiful orchestral song that's for sure.

--------------------

So, that opening texture is really really cool. There's a lot of potential with the way that you are approaching this song, but there are some things that are holding this back right now. First is that bell sound, which frankly, is terrible. I literally cringed when I heard it. Aside from the piercing and out of tune quality, I'm not sure that the timing and note choices are correct where they come in. I'd relook at some of the bell entrances.

Once things really get going, I think it would behoove you to go for a more humanized feel in both the synths and the strings, except maybe your background texture. You're floating a bit too much in the uncanny valley, as it were, right now.

The last substantial issue is the arrangement itself, which overall is pretty short and doesn't develop as much as I think it should. There's a lot of different ways you could go with this, so I'd like to see you stretch your wings a bit and add some original sections to break up some of the source, maybe keeping that background texture again to keep connection to the source.

Still a really cool opening for the source :)

NO (resubmit)

The issue specifically with the bell sound is the massive overtones it is generating, and the melodic structure and reverb settings, causing a ton of bleed. The string attacks don't feel very natural to me, with mini-SFZ attacks on some, and a bit too much velocity.

I agree that the opening part is really nice, and the overall feel of the arrangement I can support, though it seems truncated and not fully developed. The halfway point features a really painful dissonance when the track modulates, and the chimes don't, or something similar. Either way, it sounds harsh and not gelling.

Overall, good textures, and backing, but the bells and string sequencing needs work, and the arrangement needs a bit more development. I think this has the potential to be really good, however. :-)

No, please resubmit

great source tune. these games have got some great in-series arrangements and motifs.

such a nice intro. I gotta agree that it feels a little underdeveloped, some percussion or a more driving force or climactic section would really set this arrangement off. production wise, a lot of your sounds sound great, really dreamy, but the EQ and articulations on the backing, particularly the strings as OA mentioned, could use a little more work.

pretty close to the bar here, but it needs some more polish. I hope to hear a resubmission in the future. :)

NO(resub)