*NO* Zelda 2 'Temple Reprise'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Cosmonal

Email address:

Userid: 33016

Game: Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link (NES)

Song(s): "Temple/Palace Theme"

Remix title: "Temple Reprise"

Comments: hope you like the 80's feel of some instruments on that one :)

This is pretty sweet, and has a lot of interesting personal touches to it. The only thing that really seems a bit weak is the rolling snare. It's kindof orchestral, kindof not, and in the end it doesn't matter much, but compared to the rest of the thoughtfully constructed 80's soundscape, it felt a little dry. Production was solid, with a really nice sounding bass, and I think the arrangement had a good mix of personalized material with the main theme. I am cool with this one passing.

Yes

Andrew's right that there are some really interesting parts where you've added your own flare to things. I love the countermelody you put into the main part of the theme. Ultimately, though, I think there are a few issues that are holding this back. The first is the opening. It's completely dissonant, feels very unintentional, and frankly doesn't sound good. The second issue I'm hearing is that while there are some background touches, there's a lot of areas where the melody feels completely untouched, and it stands out as being a cover at times. The third issue is the soundscape, which is pretty dry as Andrew mentioned, but also pretty sparse at times.

These aspects are adding up, and while I think you've got a fairly solid track, it needs that polish to get to front page.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, gotta agree with Deia on the intro, the dissonance there is not pleasant, especially when paired with such a nice set of accompanying sounds.

In general I feel like this needs more instrumentation overall though; what you've got here sounds really nicely mixed and your bell sounds are particularly unique, but overall it's still very minimalist and could use a couple more backing parts to really flesh it out.

As far as source usage goes, you're fine in my book, the melodies themselves are pretty much untouched but there's plenty of original soloing that goes along with the melody and, while it does feel tacked on and not entirely cohesive, it works for the most part and shows a solid level of musicianship.

I really think your sound choices here are a strong selling point, and that alone warrants a resubmission in my mind. I really hope you touch this one up, but it's not doing it for me yet.

NO (resubmit!)

• 1 month later...

I agree the intro felt awkward. The different parts throughout come off to me as... rigid I guess I could say. The orchestral snare is dry and upfront. Despite various parts playing, the general soundscape feels pretty empty - especially in sections like 1:10.

Sound design was a mixed bag for me. Some of the sound choices were nice, while some came off as too generic or lofi (starting pluck synth, bells piercing). I'm not sure the drum machine type beat really works with the orchestral snare - the patterns really don't compliment each other as written.

Arrangement-wise, this is a fairly conservative take on the source. The first half was very much so - to the point I was getting ready to write off that aspect of the mix. There was some additional modulations and changeups in the second half that helped in this department, though. Writing near the end from 3:10 was a welcome departure and the pitch bend section was a nice touch. Still, I'd like to hear a bit more personalization on the theme beyond the brief modulations and soloing on top of the track.

I think there's quite a bit of work left to do here, but I hope this doesn't come off as too daunting. Good luck to you.

No, resubmit please

• 4 weeks later...

well shit, that solo at 2:19 caught me off gaurd. that was pretty damn slick. :D

anyway lots of good crits here, not a lot for me to add. I agree that the track was sparse overall and some of the sounds were weak (opening bells, snare, etc as mentioned - everything else was pretty serviceable though), and the arrangement had a few moments in the first half where it kinda just went really auto-pilot with the melody. promising, but the arrangement and production both need some work. I could definitely see myself passing a resubmission, it just needs a little elbow grease. :)

NO(resub)