OCR02564 - *YES* Wild Arms 'A Morning at the Abbey'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Archangel

Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )

Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel

Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Wild Arms

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Abbey

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Michiko Naruke

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvW1y06U4OA

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Greetings yet again, almighty primarchs!

This is my sixth submission. I have no idea why I'm keeping track of this. Please note that this track is a part of the Wild Arms Project Album. Jade contacted me to contribute something to the album after some very nice people recommended me. Thanks again, you now who you are!

I chose to make an arrangement of the Abbey track. I was a little worried because the source is only 45 seconds long. I had never before worked with such a short piece, but as it turns out, 45 seconds is more than enough to make a nice little ditty.

I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the game at all, so I had to do a little research. It's a good thing that the track is played at the beginning of the game. It wasn't hard to find some videos on Youtube, just to get the feel of the place where you can hear it. A simple, peaceful community of, uhm, magic users and their teachers, I guess--GOD, the fanboys will have me skinned alive for this! Anyway, it all seemed very cartoonish to me, almost like an introduction to an old-school animated movie. I imagined Cecilia, the protagonist, waking up in the morning, realizing that she's late for class and getting dressed in a hurry, then running down the stairs and through the numerous hallways of the Abbey while the movie credits roll. The camera follows her and shows some typical morning scenes at the Abbey--a cat chasing a mouse in the hallway, a clumsy, absent-minded librarian dropping a huge stack of books, a young maid getting water from the well, a group of children playing with a dog in the courtyard, and so on. You all know the drill. As the track ends, Cecilia finally reaches the classroom. Then she takes a deep breath and fixes her hair one more time before entering.

In other words, this track is the king of clichés! Nevertheless, I hope you people enjoy listening to it. It's a nice little orchestral piece. Very playful in my humble opinion.

Here's the link to the mp3: Archangel - A Morning at the Abbey (Wild Arms Cover) - 192kb

Regards

J.

I'm gonna keep this pretty short because it's pretty clear to me that the production here is above the bar and the source usage definitely checks out to me as well. It's plenty personalized thanks to some really delicate, creative supporting instrumentation and variations on the melody. Cute concept too! :-D

I love it when you do these kinds of arrangements, it's really cool to hear the thought process that goes into them, as well! Keep it up, Jaka!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

No real need to hold this one back, vote-wise, as it's very charming, and while I think it may run a little long for an actual intro, it works very well with the mental imagery described, and the woodwind and tuned percussion base is perfect for conveying the lighthearted feel of the mood.

Playful and fun, this is pretty nice! :-)

Yes

• 4 weeks later...