*NO* Street Fighter 2 'A True Champion'

djpretzel

This is an electronica remix of Ryu's stage. It has gotten a place among the must-haves at VGmix. I know there are many Ryu remixes out there, but this one is very differnt beacuse it is always changing. Also it's only 2:48 in length witch means that it dosen't drag, like some electronica mixes can. The core mellodys have there own little variations in this one. But what really makes this stand as a remix is it's mood and interesting stucture. I don't wanna give too much away. Just listen for yourself...I hope my interesting style is enough to warrent a place here among the many great songs found at your site. This song has a fade in intro, and is mixed a little low, so you may want to turn it up just abit. Welp...I hope you guys enjoy listening to it as much as I did making it. Kudos to djpretzel, and everyone else for maintaining a neat,and high quallity site.

Jredd-

This song has several good ideas that are never fully developed seperated by portions of not much happening. At 0:56 it's Harpsichord VS Nasal Synth. The two of them are fighting over the same register. The nasal synth appears to have the upper hand until 1:05 when the harpischord makes a come back and eventually emerges victorious. Having two instruments both actively moving in the same register can work if (A) one of them moves slowly and consistantly while the other moves much faster (B) they spend most of their time moving rhythmically in unison or © They are severely panned away from eachother.

I love the ideas at 2:02. The watery percusion and the phased analog synth work very well together. Unfortunately this only lasts for 30 seconds and then the song fades away and ends. Everything up to 0:52 sound good but it doesn't get a chance to fully develop before ending at 0:52. I would suggest you continue to evolve the first section by gradually adding layers or intensifying the ones you already have. You could have this whole thing eventually build to some sort of transition into the stuff at 2:02 which could then be developed much further.

As it is now your mix is but a pallet of ideas that does not stand on it's own but could be used to paint something great.

NO (resubmit)

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/sf2.rsn - "Ryu" (sf2-05.spc) & "Ryu's Ending" (sf2-23.spc)

Aside from rhythmic alterations, the :25-:52 was pretty conservative, but I liked the beats you wrapped around the theme, and the rearrangement effort here was noticeable. Not sure why this was made so quietly; kinda sapped the energy out of this. And indeed, like you said in your submission letter, you mixed this too low. Beef the volume up.

Ryu's ending theme showed up briefly at :51, then some drumloops were there at :57. The ideas are switching too quickly without providing enough substance. The arrangement ideas on each section have to be well-written and well-executed in order to pull something risky like that off.

The "Hadoken", "Fight!" and death scream samples from 1:25-1:34 were really tacky. Crazy hat activity from 1:35-1:48. Some of the genre ideas were genuinely interesting, but the structure is awfully haphazard like Shna alluded to.

That honestly downplays how much I liked the ideas here. This was actually pretty ambitious, and I'm a sucker for a pimp bassline. Stick around and read up on ways to improve your structure, instrumentation and production in the ReMixing forum here and/or the VGMix Conservatory and post to the WIP forum here to get more feedback before future submissions. Keep at it, bro. Dan might have some Ryu/Ryu Ending material in the works, so I'm looking forward to his possible opinion on how you treated the source material.

NO (resubmit)

This song is...hectic. the problem is the ryu theme is pretty irrelevant, and it makes the piece drag, in fact. The melody plays slowly over a frantic breakbeat. It actually gets pretty irritating. the mix is short, it doest have time to develop the multitude of ideas that are presented, and none of them feel relevant to the source tune.

NO

There are plenty of really creative arrangement ideas packed into this short mix. Like Shna mentioned, the first minute or so holds a lot of potential. The melting of the bassline into the main theme at 0:25 was slick and I was looking forward to more of that same give-and-take but it never really happened.

Much of the remaining arrangement ideas were interesting and non-repetitive however the production made them feel lifeless. With the solid ideas, I would be borderline on this one if the mixing was better. 0:12 was a huge letdown as the lead synth is field-mouse quiet and the hi-hats are not well integrated with the other elements. The section from 0:57-1:20 is a bit cluttered and the drums again feel disjointed from the synths. If a little quiet, the ending from 2:03 was mixed fairly well I must say.

There are some cool ambient effects and sound FX scattered throughout and the sample processing is decent as well. For the resubmit, bring the global levels up and work on more effectively managing the balance between elements.

NO (Please Resubmit)