E-Mail: jorgeboscan@gmail.com

Homepage: www.jorgeboscan.com

Forum ID: Xtormrage

ReMix Info

Name of game ReMixed: Metal Gear Solid 2

Name of the Remixed Song: Main Theme

Composer: Harry Gregson-Williams

System: Playstation 2

Comment: Took some time to assemble the percussion, but it was really fun making this tune. I've never enjoyed making a song/remix this much.

Hahaha, so fucking dope! Though the instrumentation obviously doesn't sound human, this was some stylish stuff, and I thought it the MGS2 Main Theme was excellently arranged for salsa. I loved simple but effective ideas like using the piano on support to play chords from the original.

The movements on the intro strings strained for credibility and realism, leaving me underwhelmed, but once things kicked in at :31 things were a lot more positive. The lead horn could use some more work, but the effort there along with the effort in the rest of the instrumentation was commendable overall. Loved the baseline, shakers, and percussion. Great stuff.

The sudden-stop ending left me muy triste because this could have wrapped up more strongly and creatively, but otherwise, this was some nice shit. If anyone rejects on the grounds of "make it longer" or "make a better ending", I don't have a problem with that, but I myself felt the rest of the track made up for those issues. Nicely done, Jorge. I look forward to hearing you develop and improve with future work.

YES

deathsalsa.jpg

Yeah, the samples aren't much, but what you have here is a pretty nifty idea that's executed fairly well. I'm not digging the stereo effects on the sax, and in general I feel the instrumentation is too sparse; but still, it's a fun, unique take on the theme. It's on the short side and a bit rough around the edges, but I'm fairly comfortable yes'ing this one.

YES

This is definitely one of the more interesting mixes I've heard lately - this theme gets covered a lot, mostly in similar styles, so when you combine it with an under-represented genre it creates a very unique result. The arrangement is well-done for the most part, but a little on the short side considering the amount of source you can work with. Variation, improvisation, and original stuff makes for a strong interpretation in any sense of the word. Execution is quite a bit weaker in comparison, with a sort of lame lead horn sample and other (somewhat) dry/mechanical sounds. However, they're arranged well, and the production is generally good, so I don't think that's all THAT much of an issue.

Sounds could use some work, and a more expanded arrangement would have been nice, but I think this earns a YES

THE QUALITY OF YOUR SAMPLES IS IRRELEVANT.

That is, assuming that you've got the chops to make up for it in arrangement and overall production. Yea, so some of it sounds pretty MIDI-Bitty. But who cares? Aside from a blatty saxophone and piercing brass stabs, it's generally good enough sound quality to get by pretty well.

Take it from me, i've been getting into latin percussion pretty hardcore lately, and these skins are quite well done. We've got the tumbao on the congas, we've got shakers, some cymbals, and rad timbale licks. The mixer does well to use cowbell when it's appropriate, and not in Bruce Dickinson-style excess. It's beyond my current abilities to recognize whether it's in 3:2 or 2:3 casscare, but it sounds like there's an effective use of both, in moderation. A drum kit, with ride cymbal work, might have filled up the percussion a bit more, but there's nothing wrong with sticking to the classics.

We've got the genre-authentic piano that provides a groove rather than trying to be the star, and the electric bass is certainly kosher for the more pop-centric salsa sound. It's not Pancho Sanchez, but it's fun, sounds convincingly hispanic and is very successful at adapting a tune in a way that I never saw coming. Great Work here.

¡SI!

-D