*NO* Jim Power in Mutant Planet 'Memories'

djpretzel

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Huelsbeck_Chris/Jim_Power.lha - mdat.ingame_3

I used DeliPlayer to check out the source material.

This was a decent genre adaptation, not uncommon in the Commodore mixing scene. I liked some of the slightly altered support instrumentation ideas, and I'm certainly glad that this wasn't a rip, but aside from that I didn't feel as if there was much going for it creatively. The arrangement wasn't very expansive or interpretive overall and the track clipped like it was getting paid to. Good cover-ish mix, but it rides on the strength of Chris Hülsbeck's original material.

NO

Little variety from start to finish, piano was a nice touch. Lots of delay/reverb/release making things slushy a good portion of the time. This would be okay if it wasn't happening during all 3:20 of the Mix.

Cool Original, sounds much better in Eb. You should have left it there! I'm glad you chose such an interesting source-tune. I suggest you start again with a different song and for an excercise try arranging whatever you choose at 75% of the tempo of the source. That will FORCE you to come up with more arrangement ideas otherwise the song will drag. DO IT!

NO

Pretty cool source material. Pretty cool mix. The mix has a great chill vibe that’s carried by the slick beat and dreamy delayed synths and piano. Although the bassline is cool, it’s much too present and for much of the mix it feels like it’s sitting on top of, not in line with, the supporting sounds. Consider toning it down with a volume adjustment and perhaps a little reverb. Good composition with a catchy hook, clear bridge, decent dynamics throughout, and a well-timed end. Unfortunately the slick beat, the cool baseline and the solid composition all come courtesy of the source tune. Unfortunately, I can’t pass this because of that reliance on the source.

I like your sound Crono. Work on mixing some of your own creative melodic/rhythmic ideas into the source and you should could turn out some quality remixes.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Why does this remind me of Mortal Kombat's movie score, but more chill and with not as sharp a production value.

I actually rather enjoyed this but I have to disagree with my good friend Harmony, the bass on my monitoring systems sounded nice. I actually liked the power behind it, but at the same time it didn't suck the life out of the mix.

Gotta NO this though, it needs more harmonic, melodic, structural, etc. expansion so that the arrangement is more evolved. Sorry bro, keep working at it. I hope to hear from you soon either with new material or a resubmission.