Announcing First Megabeep Compilation– Call for material!

megabeep

More info at the blog: http://megabeep.wordpress.com

Make chiptunes? Want some free promotion? I’m gearing up for the first ever Megabeep progchip compilation. Whether you’re a seasoned tracker or an ambitious newcomer, Megabeep wants your chiptunes! Here’s the basic idea:

The record will be a collection of tunes from various artists that celebrates the progchip style. It will be a combination of established artists I have reviewed here at the blog, and newcomers discovered through this outreach. The record will be sold online dirt cheap and the modest proceeds will help Megabeep grow into a net label! Aiming for release sometime early in the new year, January or Febuary.

To submit music send links to web hosted audio or files via e-mail to megabeep@hotmail.com (mid-quality MP3 files please). I’m flexible on style and level of production quality, but submitters should keep in mind the following guidelines:

-Submissions should be original, no covers, remixes, or anything I will get in trouble for publishing smile.png

-Submissions should be “progressive” in some sense. That means the music should be ambitious or innovative in either musical composition, style or genre, OR production quality.

-Hopefully submissions do not already appear on a free compilation– if the tune is available elsewhere for FREE, then there’s little incentive for readers to pay a couple bucks.

All the licensing details will be discussed on an individual basis leading to a written agreement that guarantees all rights are retained by the artists, and that Megabeep has ONLY the right to sell the track as part of the compilation.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

John of Megabeep

-Hopefully submissions do not already appear on a free compilation– if the tune is available elsewhere for FREE, then there’s little incentive for readers to pay a couple bucks.

I don't know if I'd completely agree with this. They're not paying a couple bucks for just one song, they're paying a couple bucks for the whole compilation - and if they're interested in the first place, they're going to the trouble to track them down and see if they can get them for free elsewhere just to save a couple bucks. A very slight few may do this, but I really doubt it.

I'm really interested in contributing as well, I just don't think I have enough time to work on a new chiptune. I have a couple already made ones, one is part of a free compilation, my own, but pretty hardly qualifies as famous.

I'd like to see some examples you may have on what you're looking for, content wise. It seems to me a lot of different ways to do it.

Excited to announce that Disasterpeace will be contributing a track to the upcoming Megabeep Progchip Compilation! He's a fantastic chip composer I have written about at my blog, check him out! http://www.disasterpeace.com

jmr: please do, and thanks for spreading the word!

Meteor Xavier: You're probably right, I was just thinking it would be nice to market the record as a kind of Megabeep exclusive, in order to add to it's value for just a few bucks. But if you have a track to submit that has had some limited exposure on a free compilation, if I liked it enough I would still probably include it. So, if you find the time, please do send something along: megabeep@hotmail.com

Thanks to both of you for your interest, and be in touch!