OoT Forest Temple - Dubstep Remix WIP

DJ Cr4sh

Hey guys!

I've been working on a remix for the Forest Temple theme in Zelda, the Ocarina of Time and I was trying a Drumstep/dubstep styled approach. I've really tried hard to get it to sound balanced, and full. Im not the greatest at mixing or mastering so any constructive criticism is appreciate. Most of all, I cant tell if this is done or not haha! Your input will help me to decide when enough is enough and its time to submit! Thanks guys!!! :tomatoface:

http://snd.sc/tbVhOl

DJ Cr4sh

I really dug this. Although my knowledge is pretty limited, i feel like every dubstep-ish zelda track i've ever heard has used the "hey listen" sample so i felt like that was a little uncreative - there may be some kind of reason for this that i'm totally missing but i'd heard that sample many times before.

I have no specific advice on improvements - it was a nice interpretation

It sounds very cool! I like it a lot. You definitely need a kick in the percussion in the beginning, though. I also think you may have overused the Navi clips. Maybe switch some of them out for some voices from some other characters, besides Ganondorf's laugh. I'm not the best at feedback, but I hope I helped a little.

I guess you and the comment after have the same advice! Maybe I did go a little crazy with them lol Luckily, there are plenty of other voices and sfx from the game that I could use in place, especially for the drop which is probably most cliche.

I also agree with the percussion in the beginning, it might be a little too high in freqs without some kind of lower kick or something back there. Thanks for the tips!!! I'm going to make the changes before I submit :D

I really dug this. Although my knowledge is pretty limited, i feel like every dubstep-ish zelda track i've ever heard has used the "hey listen" sample so i felt like that was a little uncreative - there may be some kind of reason for this that i'm totally missing but i'd heard that sample many times before.

I have no specific advice on improvements - it was a nice interpretation

HAHAHAHAH! Damn, you know I honestly have never really noticed that but the only other dubstep remix I know of for zelda is the lost woods version, which I now remember uses it like throughout the whole song :( FAIL. I'm definitely going to swap it out since I don't want to be uncreative or just another dubstep remix lol thanks man!!!

Haha, that's actually PrototypeRaptor, I'm not posted yet, but I've got one in the queue :D And yeah, that thing really kicks the ass. Check out some of his other stuff if you want more behind-beatings :D

pH

I listened to his non vg related stuff on soundcloud and realized for sure, this guy's a pro lol. i want to get my own stuff to that level! NI's massive would certainly help, and being super skilled at mixing and mastering wouldn't hurt either. I still feel like my songs just doesn't have the extra bit of ommph that i'm looking for with either subs or low end. What do you think? I've been listening to it for too long haha

This mix is definitly awesome. But there some things to flesh out.

First: You should completly remove the clap and hihat in intro.

Second: The drop is lacking in sfx. You should crash something. Otherwise it's enough filthy ^^.

Third: The hihat is too loud from 0:59 and the snare need a very little more punch.

Fourth: You should double the hihat when the ganon laugh comes in, to make it more drumstep.

Now the goods ^^.

The intro is well builded. That glitchy pad coming is perfecto ^^. The sounds sfx from the forest is awesome. The bitcrushed up/down sound is hot. It provides a lot.

The bass distorted is hot in there. The fairy voice is a little bit overused. But at 1:18 is well used. ( li li li li li li, hey hey hey. ^^) The bridge with those glitchy element is well placed. And the more silent one at 2:13 was perfect. The lfo there keep the dubstep part with a more slowish and relaxing mood. At 2:35 seems that the patern had just been pasted there. It could use of more new element.

The sounds are nearly well balanced except the hi hat mentioned earlier.

That's my grain of salt ^^. Hope it helps you.

This mix is definitly awesome. But there some things to flesh out.

First: You should completly remove the clap and hihat in intro.

Second: The drop is lacking in sfx. You should crash something. Otherwise it's enough filthy ^^.

Third: The hihat is too loud from 0:59 and the snare need a very little more punch.

Fourth: You should double the hihat when the ganon laugh comes in, to make it more drumstep.

Now the goods ^^.

The intro is well builded. That glitchy pad coming is perfecto ^^. The sounds sfx from the forest is awesome. The bitcrushed up/down sound is hot. It provides a lot.

The bass distorted is hot in there. The fairy voice is a little bit overused. But at 1:18 is well used. ( li li li li li li, hey hey hey. ^^) The bridge with those glitchy element is well placed. And the more silent one at 2:13 was perfect. The lfo there keep the dubstep part with a more slowish and relaxing mood. At 2:35 seems that the patern had just been pasted there. It could use of more new element.

The sounds are nearly well balanced except the hi hat mentioned earlier.

That's my grain of salt ^^. Hope it helps you.

Hey Rockos, thanks for such a detailed review of my song! This REALLY helps man.

I'm going to try and see what it sounds like without the hihhat and clap in the intro, but I was also going to try adding a kick as one of the previous comments suggested. I'll try them both and see how it fits. Im worried that by adding a kick so soon, the song might lose its structure, and the drop will lose even more impact. At the same time, removing the clap and hihat could help give the eventual drop more oomph, especially with a crash of something in there. I'm also going to switch out the cliche hey listen at that point for something else zelda related to see if that helps.

HI Hat volume:noted, im lowering its importance in the song just a bit and ill be giving the snare a bit more pop like someone said before this

I like the drumstep hihat idea, so im def going to give that a shot!. Seems liek everyone agrees that certain "hey listens" are too much so look for my reup to fix that!! thanks guys!!!

also Rekcahdam's Gimme My Sword (can't find a direct link) from 25YEARLEGEND (posted on OCR not so long ago) - it appears from 3:40 onwards - i think it's a pretty good use of it - awesome turntable scratching!

hey thats pretty cool use of it, i def like the scratching! Thanks for the tip man, took a while to find online but it was worth it :D

I agreed with a lot of what is said here, especially the part about the hi hat. I'd suggest thickening it for sure; it sounds really tinny right now. Overall, it sounds like the drums are getting drowned out by the bass/everything else.

Hey listen gets annoying after a while, but it seems like you're changing that anyway.

I didn't really notice the laugh at first, but now that I do, you might try messing with it for kicks (like you do with the hey listen).

Good job at taking an ambient source and transforming it into something kickin.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally I'd be bothered by the fairy voice being included in every Zelda dubstep remix, similar to what's discussed in the other one on this board right now, which is already in the Underworld mix linked in here.

However, it's one of the foundations here and really well used. Great track, I agree with pretty much everything above poster said as well.

Oh, and why isn't it downloadable? Not nice!