*NO* Kirby Super Star 'Sunset Ride'

DragonAvenger

SomeGuy

Charles Wheeler

someguymusic1@gmail.com

Facebook.com/someguymusic soundcloud.com/someguymusic tindeck.com/users/someguymusic youtube.com/someguymusic

Kirby Superstar

Sunset Ride

Revenge of Meta Knight Ending

Original

My ReMix

I started this remix about a year ago and I’ve worked on it on and off ever since.

Here is my explanation of the story within the song:

The piano at the beginning is the narrator setting the scene describing what has just taken place (Kirby’s destruction of the Halberd). The rest of the 6/8 meter section is supposed to take place during the actual sunset ride in the game as each party processes the recent events. The flute solo is the memory of sailor Waddle Dee :'(

The solo trumpet is the voice of Meta Knight. The solo guitar is the voice of Kirby (and sidekick) as they ride into the sunset. As Meta Knight and Kirby recount the destruction of the Halberd the voices are in unison in some places and differ in other places. Upon conclusion of the 6/8 section, the setting changes once again to an undisclosed location months after the destruction of the Halberd. Kirby is asked about what happened, and he recounts the tale from his perspective. The solo female voice is designed to convey a flashback or dreamlike atmosphere. Kirby and sidekick are, again, the guitars. They destroy the Halberd. The solo female voice is heard yet again, signifying a return to the present. At another undisclosed location Meta Knight is asked the same question by his villain buddies. Meta Knight takes a brief moment to remember sailor Waddle Dee (solo flute) and then swears that he will one day avenge the destruction of the Halberd, smite Kirby, and enslave Dreamland (the building and final sustained note by the solo trumpet).

I used a program called Magix Music Maker for this project. I mean no disrespect to the people at Magix, but I’m fairly sure it crashed somewhere around 300 times during the creation of this remix. I was fortunate if the program played 10 bars without a crash. I was also shooting in the dark with the mixing and mastering because I couldn’t play the song in Magix. Labeling this remix as an arduous task is a definite understatement. I look forward to working in FL Studio from now on. :)

Best regards,

Charles Wheeler -- “SomeGuy”

• 1 month later...

ah, mr. wheeler. a name a recognize (and not because I'm related to it [which for the record, I am not] :P).

so, magix music maker huh? I remember getting that for $5 on PS2, all it had was a bunch of premade loops and a really shitty midi editor with some crappy GM sounds. :P granted the software has probably come along a bit over the years, this is pretty impressive all things considered. and I commend you for putting up with horrible software crashes and failures, a bit of reality I'm sure we've all had to deal with at one point or another. ;)

anyway, on to the arrangement itself. it's a nice treatment of the source, and sorta moves from conservative to liberal as the song progresses, quite tastefully though. really liked the treatment of the melody around 2:40-3:15-ish. overall, there's some nice compositional ideas and embellishments here. the production ain't too bad, but there are definitely some issues that add up. here's the stuff that bugged me:

-percussion at the beginning seemed really repressed

-there's not a very strong low end to the mix, and the soundscape overall feels sparse, like theres still some room to fill. despite this, the balance between instruments gets a little muddy at times causing the sounds to bleed together a bit (particular the sections with lots of high-mid activity, such as the section around 3:45, and the low end during 5:32).

-the articulation/sequencing on the trumpet could be cleaner.

-lastly, some concerns with the (sampled?) electric guitar.. but I'll leave that for someone who knows the first thing about it. :P

overall, this is a nice arrangement, and has promise as an OC mix, but it needs some more polish to put it over the bar. keep at it!

NO(resub)

• 1 month later...

Mr. Wheeler (:P) has hit most of the strong points that need to be addressed here. I'll echo the issue about the bleed between instruments in some of the heavier sections, making a sort of wall of sound that is somewhat indistinct especially. I would also comment that some of the liberal sections do feel very liberal, but you have a lot of anchoring points that work well at keeping the source balanced with the more liberal sections, so things work out there.

You've got a neat concept here, but the execution is what needs to be addressed.

NO (resubmit)

This arrangement and concept is really nice, but I do have to agree that the execution needs work. I think taking what you have started with and improving your tools. You definitely have talent, and the time spent slogging through multiple crashes was definitely not wasted, as this is very usable. Maybe sure to check out the workshop forum, especially the FL one, as there are a lot of tips for beginning mixers. :-)

No, please resubmit