Game:

Shadowgate

Platform:

NES

Name of original composition(s):

Title Screen

Castle Halls

Hero of Stormhaven (Ending)

Game Over (Makes a brief appearence at the end of the mix)

Composer(s):

The game's composer was never credited and is technically unknown.

Kouji Nishikawa is generally assumed by the fans to be the composer.

Name of my arrangement:

Shadowgate Nightmare

My email and website:

jabackf@yahoo.com

http://jonahsmusic.leadhoster.com

Youtube links to the original songs:

Title Screen:

Castle Halls:

Hero of Stormhaven (Ending)

Game Over

My Comments:

This remix is definitely a bit of a departure from my last OCR submission. I've been wanting to remix this game for quiet awhile but I've been hesitant about it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to accomplish what I wanted to do with it. I felt that nothing short of an epic orchestrated masterpiece would do justice to the original soundtrack for me. Well, I gave it my best shot and this is the result. It might not be the masterpiece that I wish I could compose but I think it came out nicely. The game itself is an absolute classic in my book and this is my homage to it.

My remix uses four tracks from the game to tell a dramatic story about world of Shadowgate. The original version of this remix also included the Subterranean Caverns theme. I cut this section out of the OCRemix submission to improve it's chances on the judges panel. I felt this section was a bit weak and the song over-all was too long, so it got snipped. Here is a link to the original extended version for anyone interested.

http://soundcloud.com/jonah-b/shadowgate-nightmare-v2

-Thanks for listening and I hope you guys enjoy it!

• 2 months later...

Nice soundscape, and though I am not really sure i'd call this epic, it feels very spooky to m, and atmospheric. EPic would imply the entire orchestra was being used i'd say, and generally this is pretty harpsichord heavy, with light orchestral touches. The samples are decent, though the woodwinds and strings sound a bit stiff.

I do think you cutting out the weakest section was a good plan, because it feels long as is, with a lot of rhythmic sections and not much in the way of a memorable melody. The atmosphere is great, and the track itself is good background music, but there isn't a ton that I can really latch onto melodically. The transitions seem a little gimmicky after awhile, as well, with fades and then a new theme, it didn't feel cohesive.

Overall it's an expansive take, but needs some more polish. This has promise, so I encourge you to work on it further.

No, please resubmit

I think Andrew's assessment is pretty accurate, although I would disagree with him on the lack of melody to really attach to, as I felt some of the melodies were pleasant to listen to. I will agree that this suffers from a lack of cohesion between the parts, and is too much of a medley for our standards. If there were stronger tie-ins between the different sources it would help, but the fades aren't helping, as OA also pointed out.

The sounds aren't super realistic, but I think they are passable if the arrangement could be polished up more. It wouldn't hurt to finesse some of the instruments to sound more realistic. I'd also like to hear a stronger bass presence overall, as it's not really pulling it's weight as is.

There is some strength in the arrangement and how it's treated, but the mix doesn't feel like a cohesive whole, and the transitions need to be improved for sure.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely suffering from a bit of medley-itis. Gotta tie the themes together a little bit more creatively. The actual instrument arrangement is pretty solid, but the production is on the quiet side and doesn't really convey the energy of the arrangement to it's potential. The bit at 2:00 sums it up. It starts brilliantly, and you're expecting a huge build up that never quite happens.

You've shown some good arrangement skills for sure, needs the production to bring it to life.

NO