OCR01391 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'Moontang'

djpretzel

Honestly sounded like a DP but I don't know FF8 as well as I should... handclap samples were kinda weak, but overall it makes me want to drink vodka for some reason.... - djp

Here is a new submission, boys (and girl, you know who you are):

Remixer name: Bladiator

Email: bladiator@juno.com

Game: Final Fantasy 8

Song remixed: Waltz for the Moon

Original song:http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/ff8waltz.mid

Song Title: Moontang

URL:

Hmm, a few brief words about this mix: I like to give new genres a shot, especially those that I see very little of on OCR. That doesn't always mean what I show up with will be good, but at least different. In this case, though, I really think I have something because it's damn catchy.

~Karl

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 115 "Waltz for the Moon"

Modal Transposition BUDDY! Solid arrangement.... humorous but not at the expense of quality. The acceleration starting at 2:23 makes me picture those guys from fiddler with the bottles on their heads. The interplay between the violin and accordian starting at 1:18 is masterful. Your multitrack writing has improved like nobody's business. Needless to say, the use of the source material is great! Some of the adjusted phrasing like at 2:49 done to fit the genre is hilarious. When I say that I mean it in the laughing with you sense.... it makes me laugh cause it's hysterical how campy it is while still sounding so good. I'm DONE!

YeS

PS: Great title by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly decent sequenced piano, though I want the realz! Nah, I'm asking for too much. Wish the piano had more body here, as its syntheticness was apparent just listening to it, but it had reasonably good performance dynamics going on.

We move into some more upbeat stylings at :50. I was bleh on the string sample coming in at 1:04 for some of the note movements, but the arrangement is really creative so far. Dope key change goodness for the source melody to be sure.

Sexy stuff at 1:28 with the accordian. Slightly off-timing around 1:33 though. The percussion was pretty sedate and should be spiced up further. Right now, it's just too looped and robotic sounding. Vary it up.

I forgot the name of that instrument used briefly at 1:57, Gray mentioned it to me once. That was so cheesy, I'm like "nah, don't do that" in my stream on consciousness, and the exposed claps were also lame. Boooooo.

Not to be a hardass, but if the arrangement wasn't so hot, I'd no for weak sounds. To me, it feels like the mix lacks a lot of body as a result of all of these samples sounding so thin and though you definitely took pains to make things sound as realistic as possible in the performance, it did occasionally feel rigid due to some of the note-to-note movements with the piano, lead strings and perc work, and CURSE THOSE CLAPS.

Nonetheless, the arrangement was the most important part. I won't lie, I'm kinda bleh and would love to hear an upgraded version of this, but everything checks out on the arrangement side and the sounds are handled decently despite how they completely detracted from the performance for me. There's gotta be better stuff out there involving free soundfounts, but nice work nonetheless.

Heh. "Moontang."

YES

I'll borrow Mr. Baranowsky's brevity. Production and samples are above average (I don't have a problem with em) though I feel a bit more reverb, eq tweaking and light compression would make the production much better, still passable for me though - this isn't the case like his first submission where the samples and production were ghastly. This is fine.

But the highlight here is the arrangement and it's is really interesting and quality stuff throughout. Though I'll agree with Mr. Smelly Oji, that some parts were cheesy. Still, way beyond passable. Good work.

YES