*NO* Werewolf: The Last Warriors 'Warriors in Arms'

DragonAvenger

hey guys, i would like to submit this track to ocremix for judging. information is as follows:

Werewolf: The Last Warriors is arguably the finest moment brought to us by the company Data East. Through this motions of this 5 song medley, we explore and bring to life the beautiful melodies encapsulated in this soundtrack. Inspired by bands like The Champs, Converge, Harvey Milk, and Don Caballero as well as other notable indierock curmudgeons, we were inspired to create an arrangement that responds to tone and feeling as much as arrangement and production. The end result is an organic, flowing, and unified piece of music that stands on its own while still throwing back to popular emotional hardcore, breakbeat, and even black metal sensibilities, yet encompasses a song that we feel is portrayed exactly the way it needs to be-no filler, all killer.

This is perhaps considered a straight cover, to be sure; but the musicianship and the production together with the arrangement of this track shines through in an uncompromising way that, much like Rick Astley, you arent exactly going to get from any other guys.

remixer name: temp sound solutions

user id: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=3175

email address:

name of game arranged: werewolf: the last warriors (nes)

name of arrangement: warriors in arms

name of original songs arranged: track 1, track 4, track 12, track 13, track 2 (from nsf, no names given)

thanks for listening, it'll be interesting to see how judging goes with this one.

---------------

- Good luck!

- Final Boss JP (0:00 - 1:01)

- Cut Scene (1:01 - 2:20)

- Miniboss (2:20 - 2:58)

- Final Boss Part 2 (2:58 - 4:14)

- Prologue - (4:14 - End)

• 3 months later...

Some pretty cool themes in here from a game that I haven't even remotely heard of. You pull off some nice playing chops at times, and overall the soundscape is pretty clean and well produced for sure. Talking with Andrew, he mentions that there isn't much of a bass presence here, which I think is the only real flaw that I'm hearing production-wise right now.

As you mention yourself, this is a medley of pieces. The two things I noticed listening to this is that there aren't really any transitions, per se, you move directly from one source to the next. Surprisingly this works more often than not, but I would have liked a better lead in between some of the pieces. The other issue that sticks out even more so is that each piece is a cover, and even moreso is that it repeats each piece two to three times before moving on. If you're looking to fit OCR, those repeats need to go, and you've gotta add some variation or original stuff to really make the sources your own. It's still a fun listen, but not what we're looking for in mixes. I'd love to hear more from you, though, you've got some good chops!

NO

That's some balls you've got there comparing yourselves to Rick Astley.

Kudos for going live drums. Not a bad recording but they sound a bit dry/unprocessed. The guitar and bass though are super low in the mix and gain don't sound like you've done any processing to really make everything gel together. I'm sure it sounds much better in the room but the mixing here is really timid and holding you guys back I'm afraid.

I took the time to listen through the sources first but you can kinda tell this is gonna be a case of medley-itis from the source breakdown you've given. Just to stress, there's nothing wrong with medleys they're just not what OCR is about. Neither are covers for that matter.

I'm afraid it's a no due to the way the sources are used but I can hear potential in you guys as a group, just need to get your mixing skills together!

NO

• 2 weeks later...