djpretzel

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: BonzaiRob

E-mail: bonzairob@hotmail.co.uk

ReMix Info:

Name of Game: Luigi's Mansion

Name of Individual Songs: E. Gadd's Laboratory, The Gallery

Composers: Kazumi Totaka, Shinobu Tanaka

Comments: Well, this is the third mix I've submitted to you guys, the first was pretty mucha MIDI file in fancy clothes and the second had no panning whatsoever. I'm on limited technology; give me a break!

The mix was created with Apple's GarageBand, which has quite a lot of cool features if you dig deep enough. You can make your own synths in there and modify just about everything about them, then stick Overdrive and a Hi-pass filter on and you've got yourself something mean. I used softer synths in this piece though, I wanted it to have a ghostly choir sort of feel to it.

The bass and the first drum kit are soundsets from a company called bitshift, in other words not Apple standard.

I like the lab tune, it's a nice break from the darkness in-game, and the Gallery tune is actually quite relaxing in itself. I thought I'd make the lab tune a bit darker, and use the gallery as a mellow break in the middle somewhere. I realised that the lab tune is the sort of thing you have stuck in your head after listening to it once only; sorry. Anyway, this sort of tune seems to go down well at OCR: Chemical Plant from Sonic 2, Bubble Bobble and Columns are popular mixes. Well, the GCN is pretty underrepresented, and it has its fair share of annoying tunes too.

I borrowed the game the day before submitting this, I don't know, perhaps you can tell. I can work quite fast when I want to.

Well, I hope you like it... BTW, it's a bit loud.

Very very very sloppy here. Many instruments take turns doubling the melody and often they are not in sync. The sounds are jarring and the mixing is completely unbalanced... lot's of clipping as well, good use of panning though. The arrangement goes nowhere.... so many problems and there's no real need to list them all.

I think it's a result of your inexperience and it doesn't make you a bad composer/arranger, it just means that you need more time to develop. I'm impressed that you've continued to submit songs after two rejections. That shows great strength of character! Anyway I'm sorry to say

n0

I was able to find a midi of the laboratory song but not of the gallery. Good luck Larry!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the source tunes available to me from any of the VGM FTPs I frequent, but I'm very familiar with "E. Gadd's Laboratory" (link courtesy of Shna) thanks to weed rapping to it in "the anti-ignorance". Dunno "The Gallery", but it's a relatively minor part of the track. You can basically tell that wasn't arranged much either based on how E. Gadd was handled.

What is up with the CLIPPING here??? Sloppily put together and relies on the strength of the original being so catchy. This definitely makes the original worse in my opinion. The volume is just way too loud, the sound is perpetually abrasive, the arrangement isn't interpretive. SHITTY complete lack of a transition with the key change at 1:40 when switching source tunes. Just unacceptable.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'll back up the comments aforementioned, and also add that this is fairly decent all around, especially for using garage band. You've got much to learn still, mostly regarding technical stuff. It IS very piercing, and the percussion is about as standard 808 as you could get. The synths don't really complement each other very well. They all have similar timbre and clash quite a bit. make your background pads either smooth, or rhythmic... something! Just to differentiate your separate ideas into easily discernible sounds.

I like that that you're modifying the synths, and making sure the lead isn't completely stagnant. Just keep making tracks, learn from your own mistakes and critique from others. Also, try to get a little bit more creative with the source. Add some counter melody, switch up the rhythm, alter the chord progression, something that makes it YOURS.

Keep at it.

NO

-D

The problems already have been covered by the previous votes. Anything I say would just be overly repetitive. There's a lot of serious problems here in composition, production and execution.

Please use our Works in Progress/Completed forum for feedback before submitting a mix. Keep working at it and don't get discouraged.

NO