Chrono Cross Folk Metal (Scars of Time, The Dream That Time Dreams, Chrono Trigger)

Hey guys,

This is a song I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. So far it's just a midi, but I think the arrangement is pretty much finished.

Let me know what you think. No vocals yet but lyrics are written and I'll be looking for a vocalist in the near future.

Remix

Sources:

Scars of Time

The Dream that Time Dreams

Chrono Trigger

Bearing in mind that I'm really new to this... I thought that the flute (or whistle?) didn't stand out against the distorted guitars - but I'm thinking that they are going to be harmonizing with the vocals right? So that may fit well. I think I need to hear it with the vocals, difficult otherwise, as I think I'm listening more to a pure backing track with no lead. hths!

Thanks for the feedback :).

It's interesting that you say that...do you think the whistle needs to be louder? It's possible that the part will stand out more when it's done live, but I don't know.

Also, I probably should have made my plans for the vocals more clear. I was thinking

(The whole song is along the lines of Eluveitie actually XD), so they wouldn't really be harmonizing.

As a big fan of Folk Metal, I'll say that yeah. This sounds quite good.

When you move into the Dream on the Shore of Another World however, I feel like it loses some of the originals feeling.

I may just be the harmonies of the violin and flute/whatevs it is.

Either way, I really enjoyed it.

The only problem I can see arising is that if you're gonna follow the melody for vocals... be wary.

I prefer when I write vocals, to find a new melody line to add some variation to the source and make it my own.

Some things are well suited to following the melody line however, catchy parts can become Choruses.

Hope this helps. I can't wait to see what you get in the end. ;-)

As a big fan of Folk Metal, I'll say that yeah. This sounds quite good.

When you move into the Dream on the Shore of Another World however, I feel like it loses some of the originals feeling.

I may just be the harmonies of the violin and flute/whatevs it is.

Either way, I really enjoyed it.

Hey man, thanks.

I know what you mean about losing the original's feeling, but I found it kind of unavoidable. The original is really slow and dark, but this piece kind of had to be a lot more upbeat.

The only problem I can see arising is that if you're gonna follow the melody for vocals... be wary.

I prefer when I write vocals, to find a new melody line to add some variation to the source and make it my own.

Some things are well suited to following the melody line however, catchy parts can become Choruses.

Hope this helps. I can't wait to see what you get in the end. ;-)

Good point. It can definitely be a problem. I'm pretty sure it'll work in this case since the vocals will be growls and not exactly following the melody, but I'll keep that in mind. Some of the lyrics are still in flux, so it's possible that I might re-write some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting take on this.

Obviously, the tin whistle needs a LOT of work to be a part of this track. There were many points where it was either off sync with the song, or stuck out like a sore thumb. Better mixing and a re-recording of the whistle may improve this.

Also, there were some points where it was clear the guitar was not natural. I don't have a fix for this, sorry. :(

Could anyone else comment on this? This sounds like a promising track!

Interesting take on this.

Obviously, the tin whistle needs a LOT of work to be a part of this track. There were many points where it was either off sync with the song, or stuck out like a sore thumb. Better mixing and a re-recording of the whistle may improve this.

Also, there were some points where it was clear the guitar was not natural. I don't have a fix for this, sorry. :(

Could anyone else comment on this? This sounds like a promising track!

Yeah, I'm only just learning to play the whistle, so I'm not all that great at it yet. Hopefully it'll sound better when I get a better take (And when I figure out how to mix it better. I have no idea how folk artists make it sound so good recorded :S).

As for the guitar, it's still just a soundfont. The final track will definitely include live guitar.

Thanks for listening!

• 2 months later...

Been a while, but I've been doing some work on this.

These are some of the changes:

- New, much better whistle takes

- Addition of a Low Whistle

- Violins have been recorded

- Guitar part in verse section has been re-written. It is now much faster with some cool licks :D!

- There may be some other changes but I forget. Those are the big ones.

The mixing is really bad right now, a bunch of clipping as well as level and reverb problems. I'll try and clear that up when the guitars are recorded.

Remix

I'm a big fan of CC's OST so this interested me.

The arrangement is nice but there are a lot of issues with some sounds and instruments.

The acoustic guitar at the beggining could use some sustain, I think it would sound much better (maybe even use a piano soundfont instead of the acoustic guitar). Distortion guitar could play an octave higher in that section too.

In the next section, the flute/whistle thing sounds a bit out of tune sometimes. Also, the bass drum and the guitar get kind of lost in the mix. Is there a bass playing by the way? It's either non existant or very low volume, and you can't make Metal without a bass.

Also, the drums could use some work. The use of the hi-hat could be more constant.

I really like the introduction of the second theme. Only issues I can point out are with the volumes in a few parts, but I like the sound of this section.

3rd theme is nice, and the return to the second theme is also good.

Overall, a very nice remix with some volume and sound issues (especially the acoustic guitar).

The arrangement is nice but there are a lot of issues with some sounds and instruments.

The acoustic guitar at the beggining could use some sustain, I think it would sound much better (maybe even use a piano soundfont instead of the acoustic guitar). Distortion guitar could play an octave higher in that section too.

It'll sound a lot better when it's recorded for real. I know the sound quality isn't great and as I said the mixing is terrible, but all the guitars are just placeholders right now.

In the next section, the flute/whistle thing sounds a bit out of tune sometimes.

Ahah, yeah. Thanks for bringing that up, I forgot to mention it in my last post.

Whistles are frustrating because they are never in tune. Although I like the tone of my whistles they can be very irritating when trying to play with other instruments. I'm looking into getting a more expensive one which might help. If not I'm just going to have to practice controlling my breathing a LOT.

This is rad. I'll record you some guitars if you provide me with said MIDI.

0:48 WHAT

WHAT IS THAT

WHAT

OH GOD

WHAT IS IT

Haha, I know...sorry! XD

I just got an original Clarke Whistle yesterday and I love it! It's completely different from any other whistle I own and it's also the most in tune (it is a little quiet though).

I'll do another recording with it soon. I might double up the takes and use 2 different whistles to try and get a fuller sound. Or not. I'll play around with it.