Megaman 7 Wily 4 - Wily's Ruin

AMT

I'm polishing up one of my Wily Remix Compo entries and I figured I'd make a thread for it here. It's a vocal remix of Megaman 7's Wily Stage 4, with some Pirate Man mixed in too.

EDIT: Just did a ton of updates- new harmonies, better drums, new vocal track. Check it out!

EDIT: Switched to Mod Review.

CURRENT (4-23-12): stats.png

OLD (Compo Entry): http://tindeck.com/listen/wcvw

Here are the lyrics:

Verse 1:

Step by step you've taken from me what you can

Breaking down foundations that I laid to save this wasteland

I don't know how you can destroy

so much so quickly

No sign of guilt, remorse, or shame

at what you've broken

Prechorus:

Step back and see all the pain that you've caused me

But I won't sit idle and watch you destroy my revolution

Chorus:

I've been here far too long

To let you make a fool of me

I will make my final stand

To prove the best doctor is me!

Verse 2:

Pressing forward to break the chains of society

Sear the selfish hearts that amble on in apathy

Bridge:

Doctor Light

Why continue to make me fight

You have ruined me

You've destroyed my creations

for what reason?

World peace?

Can't you see that your dreams are flawed?

This disgusting world needs only to be purged

I'll create a new one!

Bridge backing vocals:

You fight for peace, I fight for progress

Try to see a world beyond this

Outro:

But I'll fight until the bitter end

Because our future means so much, my friend

Though my plans are cold and your's are pure

It will be we who find a way to endure

I plan on re-recording most of the vocals to get a cleaner take. Thoughts?

No one's commented on this one? I really liked it! Definitely my favorite of yours from the compo. My only complaint would be to re-record some of the vocals so they're a bit cleaner. And it's mainly just the backing vocals that sound a bit muffled at times. Maybe they just need a little additional EQing?

Other than that, the guitars and drums sound pretty clean and crisp to me. The little backing moving arpeggio synth sounds a bit off at times. It sounds a little too much in the background, like you can't tell what it's doing at times. If you raise it too much though, it might sound out of place. I'm not sure.

Solid song overall. I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with it!

• 3 months later...

Nice! Most of the complaints I had earlier; muddy mixing in parts, muffled backing vocals, arpy thingy, all sound a lot better this time around. I don't have time at the moment to give an in-depth analysis between the old and new version, but from the first couple play-thrus of this new version, I can't hear those same issues I had before, so great job!

The only area that still bothers me a little bit is with the background vocals at 2:00. They're too much in the background to hear what is actually being said, but I don't think bringing them out more would be a good idea either, cause then they may overpower the lead. I think they work well as a rhythmic device, they just can't be understood. I don't really have a suggestion/solution for this, nor am I sure there even is one, it's just something I was pointing out.

Either way, I really like this song, nice update! I can't wait to hear you rock out in the Sonic Compo!

• 2 weeks later...

MOD REVIEW

Ok, so this is pretty good. Production seemed ok to me, altho I found the bass little overpowering overall, particularly on that kick. If anything, fix the kick because its serving to muddy up your soundscape. Also, I couldn't help but feel that the vocals sound slightly tinny overall, could have been the recording, but thats the only production crits I have for you.

There is a potential obstacle at 2:24, the vocal melodies seem off somehow, I believe its dissonance but I can't place it. However, there is dissonance in your guitar solo after, which is very jarring, you're playing an Eb over a D major chord during that downward 3 note pattern you play over again, which the judges will pick up on and penalize you for. That could be deal breaking, i've known them to NO otherwise good mixes based on dissonance before.

EDIT: Did some critical listening and worked out that you've got the same dissonance in the vocal parts as in the guitar, It sounds like you're singing in F sharp major, when the tonic chord is F sharp minor. You need to fix that if you want to see this posted on OCR.

I'd say the boomy slightly over compressed production, coupled with that dissonance at the end will prompt judges to NO this. It needs a bit of work, mostly at the end, but keep at it, cause this is close.