FINAL FANTASY VII 'One Winged Angel'

The original has always intimidated me so much. Perhaps it's because it's held in such high regard, maybe it's because it's such an awesome source to begin with or it could be because previously I dont think Genesis (the other half of DigiE) or myself ever quite figured out how to approach it.

Now I'm already quite sure this raw attempt will raise quite a few eyebrows. Hopefully not too much dislike, though! The song seems to suffer from schizophrenia already, which is exactly why some feedback would be very helpful! One side of me thinks it may be a good thing since it's been remixed a lot, but not quite like this -- yet the other side thinks it may be too much, and it'd be better for it to have one (two, or three max) direction/s total. As it stands right now it has four/five music styles already in less than 2"30, which may be too crazy. Even for us.

EQ still needs a lot of loving also.

I hope you can help us get a more solid grip on this remix attempt!

stats.png

Thanks in advance for both listening and for getting back to us, if you do. :)

Well it sounds real good. The first thing, is that the already-accepted remixes of this song either had no vocals, re-recorded vocals, and there is one which had a special pass to use the original track. They may be okay with that, but they may not. Consider finding another source.

The changing styles REALLY helps this song, don't consider it a weakness, too many workshop remixes don't go anywhere once they start with a sound. Will it be longer, or are you just working on an ending for that spot? So far it's great. -edit- Oh, and also, I'm getting a lot more action out of the left than the right, but that may just be my ears. If everything is already equal, then disregard that.

I just wanted to say I really like where this is going. This source has been done so many times before, it's great to see a refreshingly new take on the theme. I'm sure some won't like the liberal arrangement and all the different musical styles in there, but I personally love it. I'll try to come back in here and leave some detailed constructive feedback a bit later, but I just wanted to say up-front that I really like this. Nice work!

Well it sounds real good. The first thing, is that the already-accepted remixes of this song either had no vocals, re-recorded vocals, and there is one which had a special pass to use the original track. They may be okay with that, but they may not. Consider finding another source.

Really? I didn't know that. I did read about sampling being an issue a looong time ago I think, but to be fair, I'm not exactly sure this is OCR material to begin with. We'll definitely try subbing it though! I just want to make sure with all the help we can get, that this will be a solid mix that will be enjoyable to listen to, whether it's on OCR (preferrably lol), or other outside sources. :) And in my opinion this is the best place to look for that help. I love you guys and this community. <3

The changing styles REALLY helps this song, don't consider it a weakness, too many workshop remixes don't go anywhere once they start with a sound. Will it be longer, or are you just working on an ending for that spot? So far it's great. -edit- Oh, and also, I'm getting a lot more action out of the left than the right, but that may just be my ears. If everything is already equal, then disregard that.

That's very encouraging, thank you! My initial feeling after sleeping a night on it was that we kinda lost the "dark feel" the original has. I'm pretty sure we managed to capture a little of that essence in the first 45 seconds, but lost it after that. It's great to hear that you think the other styles add to it, rather than detriment from the feel.

Our mixes are always generally around 6-8 minutes, so this is definitely only the beginning, haha! I always do the balance checking near the end of the project cycle, but when I listened to it on my headphones earlier I didn't hear something like that. I'll look into it in the settings to make absolutely sure.

I just wanted to say I really like where this is going. This source has been done so many times before, it's great to see a refreshingly new take on the theme. I'm sure some won't like the liberal arrangement and all the different musical styles in there, but I personally love it. I'll try to come back in here and leave some detailed constructive feedback a bit later, but I just wanted to say up-front that I really like this. Nice work!

Thanks! That really does mean a lot to us. I think we (genesis and I) were both kinda anxious about this, for the reasons outlined in the OP so it's at least reassuring to hear positive feedback so soon.

I'm looking forward to your constructive feedback!

Who know Sephiroth could be DANCE LIKE NO ONE CARES!

Also, the track is a little too loud from my computer. My volume was a third of the way up and my sister complained from the next room over (she doesn't like my preference of music so much).

A little short, but I'm used to longer, so what do I know. I did notice that the ending was a little abrupt, so I'm assuming your doing more work on this.

Don't know if the judges will appreciate the change in musical style as is, but I think it's fine. I'm sure as you lengthen the track it will only get better and better.

DigiE has yet to disappoint me. Look forward to the final post.

Thanks! That really does mean a lot to us. I think we (genesis and I) were both kinda anxious about this, for the reasons outlined in the OP so it's at least reassuring to hear positive feedback so soon.

I'm looking forward to your constructive feedback!

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, especially considering how some people consider this one of those "untouchable" sources, but personally I like it when artists take something and branch out in a different direction. Plus I can kind of favor more liberal rearrangements compared to direct covers. This is still recognizably "One Winged Angel", but is done in such a new & interesting way; it really brings some new life to a classic source.

With that said, my intentions were to give some more constructive feedback, but I'm finding myself at a loss, especially since the arrangement isn't complete yet, but I'll do what I can. The balance (left-right) sounds pretty good to me, on both my speakers and headphones (in response to the one comment earlier). Other than that I do notice some EQ levels, particularly with the synth around 0:50: it could use a little high-freq boost to help it pierce through, IMO. Again at 1:22-1:23. The breakbeat section around 1:30 sounds a little muddy too between the vocals and the synth work. Like the vocals are getting lost in there with the synth. Nothing bad, just like it could be EQed a bit better. In general, throughout the song, I feel like the snare could use a bit more punch. It sounds a little hollow as is, maybe some layering with a punchier snare would help? Particularly the 1:00 - 1:10 bugs me because the snare is exposed there. Again at 1:48 - 2:01. That could just be my preference though, as I like a punchier snare sound. The fuzzy snare may fit with some the electronica/trancey bits better though, so obviously that's totally your call. Just giving my opinion.

Can't wait to hear what else you guys come up with! I love what you have so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, all I can say is that it's very full. Needs a wider sound. Like you already said, EQ love. I think I hear lower piano throughout the song? Am I right? If so maybe that could be removed somewhat to help w/ clutter, or EQ'd heavily, because I think it's cool in concept, but may be competing just way too much for the effect it's going for... Maybe separate your high piano from your low piano by channel, so you can get more specific with EQ for each spectrum.

Anyway, this song, it's so full that I can't hear everything that's playing in order to tell you specifically what to EQ... But I will say, I think it wouldn't hurt if the Sephiroth choir were to be more prominent. Bring it to the forefront more, EQ, whatever else, because when other synths come in, it sounds very weak, loses its drive, so work on building the song around it.

I think the Orchestral elements may have too much reverb/release on them, or are just a bit too far away in room size. They need to sound tighter too, or maybe EQ'd into some sweet spots so they are not competing as much.

The intent of this song IMO is to really snap at you w/ the stac notes, keep a rhythm to them.

Phatten the bass, and the drop. And tighten those drums... And then I think you're good to go. Just keep having fun around the theme. Some synths playing the source melody more could be nice, and possibly some nods to other FF7 sources, who knows.

Have fun!

When i heard schizophrenic and genre-hopping i was expecting a little more. Hahaha, I enjoy the changes in style but it in no way puts me off. This is just vanilla! :)

I really enjoyed this anyway, really good stuff. I personally wasn't a fan of the final style that came in - that sort of "tik-tok"/"California girls" type riff... BUT that's your choice. I liked the solos over the top - could see a little break down there. Maybe i'm wrong but isn't there so many more sections to one-winged angel? Couldn't hurt to stick some of them in. At the moment it feels like variations on the first 20ish seconds of the track.

I agree with the people who say it's a little cluttered and also that the orchestral elements are a bit reverby and not so punchy!

Really enjoyed this track anyway and, I hope there's more to come.

Thanks guys! Taking all the feedback directly to heart. This is why I love this site. <3

This thing can still go in many many directions, since as Calum said, we've only used a small fraction of the theme so far. Albeit, imo, possibly one of the best parts too. xD

It's not schizophrenic enough yet? Sweet! Give us more excuses to go totally nuts with this, hahaha. xD

I'll be sure to throw an update in here once it's worthy of being posted. Some of the newer additions don't quite stick with me, and I do want to do some of the EQing already to make it sound less cluttered/full. This is just something I usually do at the very end, so bear with me on that with the current version. :D

I'll make sure to give some TLC to the orchestral section too. More nods to FF7 themes, consider it done. There's already a really small nod to the battle theme and the FF13 battle theme in there too. But probably really hard to hear if you're not aware of it or looking for it. xD

Thanks again guys!

• 11 months later...