*NO* Chrono Trigger 'It's Dark Down Here'

djpretzel

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Undersea Palace" (ct-3-08.spc]

I'm not going to go into your sounds or compositional aspects or whatever because there is a larger issue at stake. I've noticed you have a tendency to do the same thing with all of your submissions. You take one reference to the source tune [some more overt than others] and just repeat it over and over with your pitch shifted vocals and drum loopish stuff. It's possible that you submitted this before receiving the feedback on your previous mixes. If this is the case then I look foward to hearing what you come up with once you've had a chance to consider the suggestions made by the panel.

n0

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can at least say that the production was a lot better this time around. No ridiculous level like last time that take the focus away from the content. I'm just looking for more substantial arrangement here than, like Shna said, taking a very small phrase from the original and then building other elements around it.

The switch to the sampled electric guitar at 2:58 was a poor move in my opinion. Those samples tend to never sound good, plus the sound was very dull as is a lot of higher frequencies were lost during that section.

Post this to VGMix though, some CT fans will be genuinely feeling it. Props on the production though as compared with some prior rejections. I'm not against the genre here, but you've gotta develop the source material more before you slap on the dNb style sounds and voice samples onto it.

NO

Aside from not hearing much relation to the original, those voices are driving me insane.

There's a few cool synth/vocal ideas, but mostly it's just a mess of samples that somehow vaguely represent Undersea Palace. the sound at 2:58 is pretty cool, but when it gets doubled with a Slayer-style synth, it gets too abasive for its own good. Yep, that's Slayer. There's some pretty dope Prodigy-style shit going down here, but there just isn't a strong enough structure to hold it down. I like a lot of where this is going, but I need more original use and a more filled out instrumentation.

Subjectivity aside, this is a policy violation - not nearly enough original to be more than vaguely recognizable.

NO

-D