OCR03157 - *YES* Final Fantasy 2 'Castellum Infernum'

DragonAvenger

Brandon Strader
www.bstrader.net

Game: Final Fantasy 2 (NES)
Source: Castle Pandemonium
Youtube:

(Again, posting the NES version for clarity issues, GBA version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNnp1bZ5i0)
Nobuo Uematsu

Title: Castellum Infernum

FF2 Project

It's my first submission of the year 2012 and starting strong I think. Even after sitting for a few months like it has, and many more months if it passes, the song has had its production tweaked often and to a very fine state that I'm very satisfied with! The intro is loosely inspired both by Knight of the Round and M-H's songs for the Final Fantasy 1 album, Random Encounter. The rest are various forms of gratuitous metal, ending with a cool Celtic bit in 6/4. I would map out the source usage but I think it can be heard clearly throughout. Even when the rhythm is completely original, such as the metalcore breakdown at 1:40, the source is still totally apparent in the lead guitars and orchestra. The solo section at 2:07 even works in the source a little bit. I would say it stays in a fairly conservative area, but with adequate amounts of personalization. Oh wait did I say the metalcore breakdown was completely original? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. Sorry.

So the guitars were reamped with the mic aiming pretty close to the center of the cup, which gave the guitars a brootal crispy tone. I had plenty of chances to redo the reamping to give the tone more of a low-end type of sound, but ultimately decided against doing that. I think the crispier bite of the guitar tone is awesome and it might even leave some apparent space for the orchestration the way it is. The song is what pure fun sounds like, when you just let loose and make something the way you want it and envision it, and it comes out better than expected... I'm very happy with this mix and I hope you enjoy it as well! Oh, and THE ALBUM! YES, THE FINAL FANTASY 2 ALBUM! It is amazing, go download it. :P

• 2 months later...

What the hell are you talking about, aiming the mic at the center of the 'cup'. It's called the loudspeaker cone *engineer rage*...

Fairly solid stuff on the whole. Rhythm guitars are nice and tight. The whole thing is a bit compressed, giving me tired ears slight, but that could also be the fact I've been judgin' for hours now. Nice tough with the celtic outro.

YES

The lead playing was a little shaky at the beginning, but once the song got going, it really came together. Production sounded good, I enjoyed the synth sound, and the rhythm playing was tight and powerful sounding. You are on the right track with the guitar sound when orchestra is involved; there needs to be room for them in the mix, and a guitar with less low mids is a good solution, I feel.

Arrangement was good, with interesting parts, and the bestvparts of the original emphasized. I really liked this track. :-)

yes

running out of things to say about all these mixes of yours brandon, you've definitely reached a level where your stuff is pretty consistent in arrangement/production quality. arrangement here definitely checked out fine, performances were good and the mixing was pretty solid. really nice outro, unexpected, but a nice change of pace. good job.

YES