*NO* Ninja Gaiden, Sonic 3, American Gladiatiors 'Chromatic Cold Combatants'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name - CJthemusicdude

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Ninja Gaiden (Nes). Sonic the Hedgehog 3. American Gladiators. (Snes)

Name of arrangement - Chromatic Cold Combatants

Name of individual song(s) arranged - "The Decision" - Ninja Gaiden. Ice Cap Zone 1 - Sonic The hedgehog 3. "Title Screen" - American Gladiators.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - The Decision -

(Starting around :22) American Gladiators: Title Screen -

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. This mix is sort of a branch off of "Chromatic Warriors" a remix I submitted a while back. I didn't list this as a resub though because I changed a lot and I added Ice Cap as a source into the mix. The reason I combined these three sources was because at some point they all share the same i VII VI V progression and I thought the themes meshed together well. I made a little video to go with this remix as well

. I made the video for fun and also it sort of outlines the source usage. :) Check it out if you want.

• 2 months later...

This definitely has a very similar vibe to a few of your other subs, Puggsy in particular comes to mind. There's a few of the same flaws that I'm hearing as well. The drums still feel pretty basic and get pretty repetitive, even with some of the fills thrown in. Also brought up before are the sounds themselves, which are pretty generic, but I think you've done a better job finessing them this time around. Still not feeling everything, like the exposed synth at 2:10.

There are also a couple of areas where you are just vamping on the chord structure that just feels a little too bland to me. In fact, the thing that's bugging me the most about this track is that the chord structure never changes throughout the whole piece. I know that the themes are working off of that, but it starts to really wear my ears out after a while, and some sort of deviation would really make a difference here.

Nitpicking a lot of details that aren't dealbreakers on their own, but they add up. There's a lot of good going on too, the three themes you chose do have a good ability to fit together, and I found the section at 2:52 to be quite refreshing and new for you. The overall structure you have going on works, although I wouldn't mind a little more variety there as well. Hope you keep at this one, there's promise here.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...
This definitely has a very similar vibe to a few of your other subs, Puggsy in particular comes to mind. There's a few of the same flaws that I'm hearing as well. The drums still feel pretty basic and get pretty repetitive, even with some of the fills thrown in. Also brought up before are the sounds themselves, which are pretty generic, but I think you've done a better job finessing them this time around. Still not feeling everything, like the exposed synth at 2:10.

There are also a couple of areas where you are just vamping on the chord structure that just feels a little too bland to me. In fact, the thing that's bugging me the most about this track is that the chord structure never changes throughout the whole piece. I know that the themes are working off of that, but it starts to really wear my ears out after a while, and some sort of deviation would really make a difference here.

Nitpicking a lot of details that aren't dealbreakers on their own, but they add up. There's a lot of good going on too, the three themes you chose do have a good ability to fit together, and I found the section at 2:52 to be quite refreshing and new for you. The overall structure you have going on works, although I wouldn't mind a little more variety there as well. Hope you keep at this one, there's promise here.

Co-signing with this in FULL, so I'm quoting it.

Super bland instrumentation at :48. The frequencies of the saw from 1:00-1:20 were muddying with the countermelody that first faded in at :47. The melodic lead at 1:27 was WAY too loud compared to the other instrumentation, IMO. Good transition from the American Gladiators source into Ice Cap around the 2 minute mark, along with an interesting liberal usage of the Ice Cap progression at 2:36.

There was a transition into the more aggressive part at 2:51, though it still felt abrupt and unfitting. The syrupy Ice Cap lead at 2:59 didn't click at all with the super gritty countermelodic synth. Can't really say the synth at 3:15 at or the whistling/ghost-like synth first used for doubling at 3:21 worked with in combination with the other instruments either.

The finish at 3:33 was pretty swanky though; good transition into that, with a better combination of sounds that clicked, as well as a nice contrast with the previous sections. DA's right in that the overall arrangement plodded with the same basic beat patterns and progressions.

This isn't terrible, CJ, it just isn't fully developed or cohesive yet. You might want to call this a done deal. But if you can spice some of composition up (so that the beats/progression aren't basically on cruise control from :46-2:50), and improve some of the instrumentation and mixing, you'd be in better shape. But there'd be a lot of work involved.

NO