Portal - Still Alive Remix

Lampje4life

Cool mix! It's both cute and driving. I'm not well-versed when it comes to techno and trance, but it sounds pretty well-produced to me! As for the guitar, it sounds more a synth, which fits in pretty well, though its volume could be raised a bit. Either way, this is pretty nice.

My only suggestion would be to take form into more account, it goes from "intro" sound to "build up" to "main trance" (which sounds doesn't feel like it takes the melody of the song into account), back to "intro", build-up with the "Still Alive" melody, then back a trance song. Ie, it kind of feels like there are two songs alternating each other rather than one consistent whole. At least, it does to me. :)

Other than that, you seem well-versed with the style, as your production sounds very good to my ears...

Keep it up!

Quick thoughts:

I think the parts are well written on their own, but some of the transitions and the overall progression doesn't work.

The fake guitar doesn't even sound like fake guitar. :P

The bass drum is weird. Doesn't sound right imo. I could be wrong, check your references for how trance should sound like, see how your drum matches those. The rest of the sound design seems to fit the trance mold well.

You might consider revising the vocal; i don't know how OCR feels about having the voice from the actual game in the song. Someone smarter than me can comment on that.

drums are pretty loud, especially the hat.

for me, the arrangement is okay, but it seems sort of repetitive. I know that's an element of techno, but the song doesn't really progress; this may be a part of the less than stellar transitions that have already been mentioned. maybe try mixing up the instrumentation in synths once in a while.

Lastly, don't use YouTube. get a soundcloud, mediafire, or tindeck account for uploading songs. YouTube can screw up the sound quality.

Good luck with the track, Still Alive is a great source and i'm sure you can do it justice.

You might consider revising the vocal; i don't know how OCR feels about having the voice from the actual game in the song. Someone smarter than me can comment on that.

I am not submitting it to OCR so no problem there :D

drums are pretty loud, especially the hat.

Agreed, I should have mastered it a bit better. Or atleast a little, as it's not done at all xD

for me, the arrangement is okay, but it seems sort of repetitive. I know that's an element of techno, but the song doesn't really progress; this may be a part of the less than stellar transitions that have already been mentioned. maybe try mixing up the instrumentation in synths once in a while.

Agree again, it's repetitive! Had a few more ideas but really hated working on it after a few days so I decided to wrap it up instead

Lastly, don't use YouTube. get a soundcloud, mediafire, or tindeck account for uploading songs. YouTube can screw up the sound quality.

I do have Soundcloud and Tindeck but I also put everything on YouTube and Newgrounds. While YouTube's quality may suck a bit, it is still probably the best platform to spread video game remixes. Since you don't easily go on Tindeck and search for Portal Remixes :D

Good luck with the track, Still Alive is a great source and i'm sure you can do it justice.

Thanks, and thanks for the comment man :)

*Replied in the Quote*

• 3 weeks later...

One of the few trance remixes that I've liked a lot thus far. The intro is so cute! :D

My only complaint is about chords —

1) The chords at 1:16-1:22 (and similar sequences) sound horribly off. Inversions are hard on the ears.

2) Chorus 2 (Now these points of data make a beautiful line) has horribly off chords at the beginning too. The producers used the chords they used for a reason. A C major with a long F note on the melody line just doesn't click.

The guitar coming right after that is an awesome touch!

I've hit the Like button; I genuinely like it. Taking into account my pickle with the chords, I'd give it a 4/5. :)

Keep up the good work!