OCR01413 - *YES* Tetris (GB) 'Piano Concerto in A minor'

djpretzel

Here is another classical-oriented submission of mine. It's a concerto for piano and orchestra based on two of the Russian folk songs from Tetris. It's not exactly a piano concerto, but it's written much in the same way as one from the classical-romantic era.

It's written in a kind of condensed sonata-allegro form with several key modulations and some motivic technique I attribute mostly to Beethoven and Mahler. The tonality, however, is mainly Russian folk song-sounding, along the lines of Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninov. I don't claim to be the cleverest in writing for the piano, so it's all in good fun.

ReMixer name: Jeremy Robson

e-mail: jeremy.robson@gmail.com

Forum ID: 9734

Title: Tetris Piano Concerto in A minor (the word "minor" is supposed to be uncapitalized)

Game remixed: Tetris (gameboy)

Pieces used: B theme (unknown title) and A theme ("Korobeiniki")

Link:

Note: If anyone knows the true origin of the B theme, I'd be forever grateful.

~Jeremy

Y U NO DIRECT POST THIS? FUCKING WHITEY

This is a delicious feast for the senses. An orgasmic journey through time and space, where Jeremy holds the key unto new worlds, and in those new worlds, we are born anew in his image. There, under the watchmaker's delicacy of his mind and betwixt his strong and tapered fingers, music become wonder, and wonder becomes something beyond the human capacity to embrace, let alone understand. When we listen to his music and we unite, not just as a nation, not just a people, but as living creatures. As entities. As souls, balanced on the fragile edge between existence and Jeremy's heart.

just... fucking whitey. Post this shit.

YES

I can't believe we gave you people affurmitive akshunz...

Shaddapz, smelly whitey! Black pow4r!

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/tetris.zip - Tracks 3 & 2

Despite being obviously sequenced, there's a lot to love here. Keeping it short and sweet, the arrangement was excellent. A lot of people don't get creative with the arrangement with these Tetris themes. They just keep it conservative and never take any risks or liberties. This did a good job of introducing a lot of original passages and playing around with the various melodies. Cool orchestration. Interested in whether Dan and Jared like it. Anything that's inspired by Russian music gets a free YES!

RussianVODKA.jpg

ВОДКА

ПЕЙ!

ДА!

Oof! The machine gun effect. If you have Kontakt, I can link you to a script that effectively eliminates that.. I know it's a limitation present in virtually all libraries, and so obviously I'm not letting that get in the way of the judgment of the mix, but lemme know if you want more info on that.

Anyway. The arrangement is really superb here. I hope there's no question about that. The production is pretty good; dynamics are very present and sample quality and sequencing is good. It all seems a little dulled for whatever reason, maybe because of the encoding. Using VBR or a little bit of EQ to brighten the strings/piano might have alleviated that. Also, the piano at times felt on the mechanical side, particularly in the repetitive passages. More velocity and timing variation could have really helped. However, the execution is more than passable overall.

Bottom line: excellent arrangement, finely detailed, and highly interpretive. The technical side of things ain't bad either.

YES

Yeah the machine gun issue is obvious, but Jeremy uses older tools like Giga 2, so that's not something that could be fixed easily. The best bet in the future is to try to create more tracks with envelope variations, unless you want to reprogram some of your samples and of course drastic velocity changes may be necessary. I don't think most people would notice it anyway. It's noticeable, but it's not a huge deal ultimately.

Now as far as this mix, really great arrangement. The orchestration is wonderful. All the different instrumentation, change ups, pacing and articulation usage is used expertly. Production values are generally excellent. I thought the dark sound here is perfect. It's got the perfect european sound. I would not like it any brighter. This sounds very much like many Tchaikovsky recordings in terms of the orchestral/ambient color. Great work. Easy YES.