Short Film Score 'Boss'

Calum

Thanks Kuolema and Dissidia, I understand thinking it's a little bit too cheery... i was caught in a bit of a harmonic/modal trap where it was difficult to introduce non-diatonic notes that weren't noticeably "different sounding"... There were times where i felt, perhaps this needs to be slightly more tense but i think i'm happy with everything as it is. There are always so many choices/directions you can take but i suppose i wanted to portray the comedic/rushed but very light and non-serious feelings of the film as she's rushing to work. But had i started with different material the whole thing could have been completely different! It's pretty interesting what kind of things could have been changed had i changed any number of different variables...

Great work Calum! No complaints here at all. How much control did you have over everything? Were you sent the film so you can score it within a certain time frame? How did you get involved in this project?

Always enjoy seeing new projects from you and listening to your music :)

Great work Calum! No complaints here at all. How much control did you have over everything? Were you sent the film so you can score it within a certain time frame? How did you get involved in this project?

Always enjoy seeing new projects from you and listening to your music :)

Hey,

The situation basically was that this guy who i worked with on a radio play before (I originally got in contact with him through my university) was entering a short film competition and he asked me to work on it. I had the script but didn't start on any ideas before receiving a roughly edited version of the film. I had 3/4 days within to do it and I had about 2 drafts until things were finally finished. I wrote the music to be very very closely sync'd with the visuals so it really worked receiving the film first for this project. But i have another short film where i'm writing the music first and it is being edited to the music, which is quite interesting - hard to know if what you've done is right but you've gotta have faith that you're on the right lines. That should be done quite soon, i'm halfway through writing the music and it's gonna be released about half way through april.

Control-wise, i couldn't really change anything in the scripts - i entered once the script had been written. I had quite a lot of freedom because i know the guy quite well - there were specific bits in the film where the mood suddenly changes but other than that it was kind of up to me! But this bouncy/light/comedic film was a dream to score for me. :)