FF8 Force Your Way(Boss Theme) Rock Remix

This is one of my favourite boss themes, and I dig this version. I like that it doesn't really sound like the Black Mages version, it is its own and the various different sections sound really sweet. I'm not listening on my good system right now, so as far as mixing goes, I don't have much to say. I love the tone of all the guitars though, and some really nice playing overall. It does feel a bit empty without all the synth noodling that is in the original version, but its still pretty sweet.

Great choice of source. Love FF8 and its soundtrack. I really really like this mix of it. Stays exactly true to the original but I'm getting the impression that's the intention. This would be very cool with lots of synths and all the rest of it but then it would sound very very close to the black mages version. This has its own personality and identity which is a good thing.

My only comment would be the snare........its......sticking out too much and not really blending with the rest of the mix. I can't make my mind up though if that's to do with the mix though or the actual writing and that there needs to be more variation. I think if the snare is going to be that far forward the bass drum needs to be there to richochet off it. There is a lot of energy with you guitar playing and I feel like your drum part reigns it in too much when you could have a REAL face-melter with a more energetic drum part.

Anywho, also just wanted to say, loved it and enjoyed listening :)

thanks man.. I heard it too.

I tried so many different snares, and they either didn't come out how I wanted them to, or they were too soft..

As far as the actual part goes, do you think I need to change the drum part altogether?? or does it just not work with the mix?

I worked 10 hours straight on it and my ears weren't fresh.

I was just so eager to post it online.. blah.

thanks for the listen and the feedback bro.

The drum part does work but it could do better to really emphasize sections better.

up to 23 secs in its fine, though you could have a better fill between those sections. after 00:23 You could improve the beat. Its like the snare is hitting on every other bar which is great for the intro but Having it going in each bar would improve things imo.

00:39 works well rhythm-wise.

1:23 again works well.

I could list each individual section but I think from listening to those points you'll get what I mean. The sections (like at 1:30) work well because the drum beat is working with the bass and rhythm guitar parts. It makes everything gel better.

Again, with the snare sticking out like a soar thumb, just take it down a bit in level. Bring up the drums overal a tad. Get the click of the bass drum more noticeable and ease off the compression on the snare. I think your release might be a little too short.

Hopefully that might give you something to experiment with. Taking a step back and coming back will probably make the mixing a bit easier for you :)

Edit: and yeah, i understand the whole eagerness to post. Sharing is Caring :D

I like this!

I think my only problem is that the whole song sounds kinda... I dunno, overcompressed. It's like the entire song is coming from a recording of a recording, and thus it sounds like you crammed everything into a small space behind a closed door. Like I'm about to walk into the room and hear how it "really" sounds.

Just really work on getting frequencies to stick out and having a fuller sound. Right now the whole thing sounds too much like it has a slight "radio" filter. Do you have any fx on the entire mix that would effect the overall sound this way?

I am also on headphones so I can't say too much about the low end, but spread the sound out... I can tell you already have panning etc... But yeah, work on the overall sound spread... Hope this makes sense.

Makes a lot of sense..

I thought I had some effect that made the whole master track sound full.. I checked and there was none..

I tried to give each channel it's own fitting EQ..

And as far as spreading the sound goes, each element of my kit is panned accordingly to the setup, I have 5 total guitar tracks:

Two rhythms panned left and right

Two leads panned left and right

One track that I play the parts that really need to be brought out.

There's various low mixed electronic components mixed into the whole peice.

I tried my best but according to a lot of my other posts,

I have this same problem of spreading the sound out...

I don't know how to fix it..

Help a bro out.:<

I like the remix, it is very heavy.

However, the equalization of the drums doesn't convince me. I'm not sure if I can blame my headphones, but I think the bass drum doesn't sound too good. Snare has the issue pointed out above.

Also, even though you wanted to stick to barebones, I think a synth pad on the background would really help this song. It feels a bit empty sometimes.

Nice guitar playing btw.

Yea, I was thinking about putting an underlying synth in there.

As far as the drums go..

I think it's really time for me to go back the drawing board,

especially for the snare.

I try to go for a more punch-through snare, but now I'm getting the idea that it sounds like shit in most of my mixes...

As far as the kick goes, I just neglected to add any EQ as I normally do.. I was just so excited how the arrangement turned out.

I appreciate all of the feed back guys