*NO* Herzog Zwei 'Breach and Retreat'

djpretzel

Contact Info

Remixer Name: Zealotgi

Email: zealotgi@hotmail.com

ReMix Info

Game: Herzog Zwei

Songs: A Breach of Contract, A Full Retreat

Comment: This is another techno/trance remix from me of two of the tracks - "A Breach of Contract" and "A Full Retreat" - from an old underrated Sega Genesis game called Herzog Zwei. I've packed this thing with so many plugin's that my computer crashed about four or five times in the making, so keep that in mind.

This is the only remix I have done so far with my new M-Audio Keystation 49e keyboard, so expect a lot more from what you've hear from my previous ones (better arrangement, better quality, better samples)

http://www.zophar.net/gym/herzogzw.rar - "A Breach of Contract" & "A Full Retreat"

Oooh, Herzog Zwei! If I'm not feeling this, you'll know it, cuz I love this soundtrack immensely. Wow, pretty beginner-ish. Sounds are very sloppy, and the arrangement isn't very creative. Original sections like 1:08-1:35 and 2:03-2:17 were filler. "A Breach of Contract" was used verbatim and "A Full Retreat" was actually simplified here. Mix with generic techno riffs and dance kicks and that's basically it.

It's a shame too, because with themes like these (particularly Breach) I can fully understand how people get trapped in the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and don't take any risks or creative liberties with the source material. Gotta be a lot more though, Caleb. Keep practicing and improving through help from the ReMixing & Works forums.

NO

Along with the lack of interpretation, that which was added was simply watered down generic techno fare. The 16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8th pattern repeated till the end of time and bass drums pounding every quarter note with the hats responding accordingly. You need to develope your skills a bit more before submitting in the future. I'm sure you'll continue to improve and I look foward to being able to witness that growth!

n0

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that this is pretty simplistic as an arrangement, and the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Not to mention that the gated synth and some of the other sounds (like the kick) sound slightly out-of-time. Generally the production is on the muddy side with lots of low and low-mid stuff; consider researching the art of EQ and mastering a bit more. As for your synths and percussion, the best advice I can offer is to venture to the ReMixing forum and read my tutorials on the topic. I think they'll help you to craft some more interesting sounds that fit better, too.

Keep at it.

NO

This suffers from a number of problems that plague beginners in the scene. So the term beginneritis may be an unfair statement but this mix on some levels comes off that way. The sounds simply don't mesh on a sonic level, the frequencies clash. You have a lot of similar sounding frequencies all vying for attention. When trying to work on that, this has to go to back to the drawing board. Think of how your sounds blend together from a sonic and compositional perspective. How does the sound of your lead, harmony, bass combine together? Don't forget with a heavily shifted mix towards the bottom end of things, you also have to make space for your kick drums. Here it just sounds so blanketted. It doesn't work in this context in my view. I'd like to hear this with some more balls, some kick, so to speak. It's too weak. These are some concepts that you should grapple with before even in the EQ stage.

On the arrangement side of things, as has been mentioned by the others, there's not much interpretation going on here either. It sticks close to the source. I would think of how you can spice this up with your own flavor, as well as for a mix of this genre, this needs a hook. There's no energy here, no noteworthy build up. Consider adding some hats or tambourine or hand percussion to help drive this mix.

Keep working at it. This is not bad by any means, but it's not anywhere near of what we would pass at this stage. Good luck in the future.

NO