Just Gettin' Started (Mario Kart DD Menu + Rainbow Road/Super Mario Kart Title)

PixelPanic

Jeez, it's been a while :P I figure I should ask for some opinions on my current project:

Just Gettin' Started

Source 3: Super Mario Kart - Title Screen

It's gone further since I posted this version, but this is good enough for what I need to get crits for. I mostly want to know if I should add a bassline (if so, it's be an electric bass), or if I should just try to fill up the soundscape, but THAT BEING SAID, I would love other criticism very much <3. As long as it's constructive. No stupid stuff.

Love the chiptune sound you bring in.

I do think that this needs a more varied bass line instead of doubling the low synth lead. When you repeat the theme at around 1:36, you should either add more instruments, or maybe add some sort of variation. I also LOVE the "stuttering" chiptune effect you put in (ex. at 1:47)!

I do think that perhaps leading into the second go-around at 1:36, you should also add some sort of string bed as a soundscape.

I love how you brought back that theme at 2:42 with the eighth notes. Definitely keep that.

Generally, I think the repetitive nature of this piece needs more instruments and variation as it progresses.

I will be looking forward to this!

I think from a mixing and mastering stand point it's pretty freaking baller. But I have to agree with someone I think I saw say a thing maybe sort of- It's a bit repetitive. In my opinion I think a bit more variety is needed, maybe you need to think about the structure of the song so you know when you can have some leeway (i.e. like verses, choruses, breaks, etc.). Of course you don't HAVE to do that, but looking at the basics can help you artistically build from there.

I think it's pretty baller though and you've done alot of good work, especially with the little things like the triplet *flams*?!2 :dstrbd: on the melody synth (which by the way I don't know if I am cool with on the very simple triangle sound or not).

But yeah, it's pretty sweet. But you should try to polish and work with it some more.

IT IS GOOD

BUT IT CAN BE SUPER DUPER OMEGA GOOD!

*?!2 - I don't know if using the term flams on melodic instruments is actually musically correct. But I did it anyways.

Even still, the only source I heard is the Title Theme, and that seems more like a cameo. If you want this to be a remix as opposed to an original, you've got to focus a lot more on mixing the sources into your work. Right now, you're making a song out of what you've built and it seems like you're forcing the source into it. Try building everything else around the source, instead of going the other way around.

Well it's good to hear people like my mixing :)

And yeah, repetition was my greatest enemy during production. But the sources I chose are all pretty dang short melodies, so creativity had to kick in, and after I spent that, had a soda, and slept on it, I STILL hadn't done enough. Still my main priority, along with humanization of rhythms/pads.

And yes, I did take this from a very "gotta do my own thing" approach, because, frankly, I don't like when a source is there and the novelty just blows its load. My original source (Double Dashes Menu Theme) included a lot of accidentals and jazzy chords, which wasn't the direction I wanted to go, so I made the melodies more diatonically (totally making up that word) friendly. And, in hindsight, yeah, I only included like 6 seconds of the Menu.

I forget the point I was making.

Right, back to work.

And yes, I did take this from a very "gotta do my own thing" approach, because, frankly, I don't like when a source is there and the novelty just blows its load. My original source (Double Dashes Menu Theme) included a lot of accidentals and jazzy chords, which wasn't the direction I wanted to go, so I made the melodies more diatonically (totally making up that word) friendly. And, in hindsight, yeah, I only included like 6 seconds of the Menu.

That's fine, but remember: the goal is to get the mix accepted. In its current state, your remix's source usage alone is enough to prevent that from happening

Again, way too original. Throw leads into pre-existing parts of the song, to expand outwards. Once you've done that, if it doesn't mesh, rearrange the rest of the instruments to work with the lead there. There's a long time in the beginning that just sounds like an original song. Stick a lead in around 30 seconds or so and see where it takes you. Specifically, go for the DD menu theme. There's a lead later that sounds like it's can't really decide what it is, and I've got a feeling it's supposed to be the menu theme. But make it more defined. You've got a good start on a song, but again, it doesn't sound like a remix. Just an original piece with a little Mario Kart cameo.