OCR02640 - *YES* Yume Nikki 'Now You're All Alone'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: urdailywater

Userid: 33000

Game Arranged: Yume Nikki

Song Arranged: Barracks Settlement/BGM 17:

Additional Information about game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_nikki

Yume Nikki is a pretty popular Japanese indie PC game made in RPG maker. Probably not something that would normally be arrangeable for OCR, but considering the popular reception of the game, the amount of remix albums already out and stuff, I guess it would be cool?

Soundtrack: http://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/Soundtrack

Inspiration/Information behind song stuff:

So yeah, totally excited about submitting this mix. Yume Nikki is an absolutely awesome game. Not something that's for everyone honestly, but if you like dark, creepy, unsettling and ambient games, then. It's a game I find myself doing concept mixes to a lot, this is the first one I really felt was somewhat close to an arrangement hopefully somewhat acceptable to OCR. The source is only 6 seconds long, and the song itself is pretty minimalistic (which goes with the whole idea behind the concept EP I'll be putting this on, which is currently on hold at the time of submitting this mix), so this probably won't be mind blowing arrangement wise, but as of writing this is still what I consider my best work. It's ambient, but very fun and playful at the same time.

I actually started this song way back in December (which seems like a long time), but dropped it. I decided to pick it up again because the idea fit so well on the aforementioned EP, and after about 6 or 7 hours I finished it out while upping the production (which sucked back then). The end result like mentioned before is pretty ambient. I was going for a windy desert feel, seeing as that's kind of where the source takes place (minus the windy part). Hopefully you can hear that in the song.

I had more to say, but I'm kind of rushed atm so I'll let the music speak for itself. Enjoy :)

• 1 month later...

Man, that source is unfun to listen to. I'm sure it makes sense in the game, but stand-alone it's pretty bleh. I think your approach to the source and the creativity you brought to it is pretty fantastic, however. There are a lot of really neat ideas here that you've molded together with your image while still keeping the source present and accessible. The soundscape is well planned and drum sequencing really enhances what's going on.

Really great approach here.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

this is a great example of a solid expansion on a theme, and i think this mix does an excellent job of setting a mood and expanding upon the original source in an intelligent, sophisticated, and atmospheric way. A lot of the best details are subtle and only reveal themselves after a few listens, but the slight harmonic touches are great, and I am very happy to give this track a Yes.

I probably would've likef the source if like, ANYTHING else happened in it. struck an earthbound vibe with me at first, until I realized a minute later that nothing would.

haha. either way, pretty solid mix you've got here, with a ton of great expansion on that 2 bar loop of a source. mixing could have been a little brighter in the high end imo, but overall things were pretty well-executed. keep up the good work. :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much to say about this one! I have to say, I was a little unsure about how i'd react to this remix due to the fact you've taken a six second source and turned it into a 4 minute remix. Somehow, you've kept the mix interesting with melodic expansion throughout while keeping the source prominent, and it doesn't even get boring. Bravo. I loved the piano bit at the end.

A few nitpicks include some borderline dissonant writing, particularly with the bass, but I can pass that off as an aesthetic choice. Also, I noticed a pop in the intro, literally the moment it starts, sounds like a note decay issue. Seems to me this is a rendering glitch, rather than intentional but its minor.

A great remix that succeeds on pretty much all levels, the concept and execution is steller. Well done!

YES