*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Saria's Song Trance Mix'

djpretzel

Hi !

I made 2 remixes from Zelda OOT, the first one is a progressive trance mix of the Lost Woods theme. The second one is a punk rock version of the Gerudo Valley theme.

I'm new to OC so here is some minimal info about me :)

# Your ReMixer name : Phényx

# Your email address : phenyx_music@yahoo.fr

# Your website : http://www.phenyx.fr.fm

# Your userid : 31527 (that's it ? :/)

The songs

Saria's Song (trance mix)

Progressive trance remix of the Lost Woods theme.

Starts progressively (the intro could have been improved), with pad, trance synth and industrial drums, then drops into powerful techno riffs using simple synth leads on which effects are applied progressively.

Those riffs goes crescendo until the main part of the song, with pads, trance synth and industrial drums. I resequenced the original song and used this sequence it in the second part of the song.

Made with FL Studio.

Gerudo Valley (punk remix)

This song was at first just a "test" of recording samples from my cousin's a live guitar. I've noticed the chords he played were the ones from Gerudo valley so I made a whole remix from them by adding a synth guitar. I also reused a little (detuned) impro thats fits quite good in the song :) I keeped some blends from the original song, such as trumpets or spanish-like claps because they really kick ass :D

That's all for the moment :)

Tell me if you want to use my links as a mirror site, I won't delete them :)

Thanx ;)

Phényx

Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger Téléchargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just to comment very briefly on your punk Gerudo mix, the synth guitar just sounds tacky and inhuman. The arrangement level though is better than this Saria mix. Not passable anyway, but don't sub more than one track in your letter.

Submission Instructions & Standards]Only submit one ReMix at a time. If you have several ready, choose what you believe to be the best. Wait three weeks between submissions. Only submit your best material - if you are still very unsure about a submission, chances are it will not be accepted, and this will delay our re-evaluation should you choose to work further on it and resubmit.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 35 "Lost Woods"

Hearing pretty generic synth/trance stuff, though I liked that stuff going on at :32. Some bleh oomp-tss stuff was added at :46. I liked the fact that more ideas were being gradually introduced into the track (:46, :51, :59, 1:13, etc.) to give the track a sense of build, even if it had shit to do with the source material. Of course, there's time for that later.

Source came in at 1:58 with a really generic lead and a very conservative application. You can already tell it's not gonna get any more creative than this in regards to the melody. Melody's still chugging along at 2:59, applying the same formula of gradually adding in more supporting elements.

Some stuff going on with the chorus at 3:30 that at least provided a change of pace. The back to the melody at 3:59 with some new supporting instrumentation to move away from the trance feel. Alright, I definitely wasn't expecting that. More stuff going on with some weird stuff at 4:30.

Way too long for what this was. Cut the fat. Good stuff on a basic level, but there's NEVER any melodic interpretation done. Gotta be more innovate than this. Props on a stronger second half, from a creative standpoint, but even there the melody was left verbatim.

NO

Basic percussion introducing, then we get to some really LOUD percussion at 0:20, and an even LOUDER kick beat rolls its way in. I'm really not liking the snare/clap used on the off beats in this. The kick is all right.

The backing-synthwork sounds all right as well lead in. Finally the source comes in after about 2 minutes, and it's not brought in subtley either. It's just suddenly there. You could have at least filtered it in and given us something clever and trancey to be awed by. We keep plodding away towards the end with things changing subtley around. The beat just keeps on pounding away.

On the whole, there's nothing really wrong with the mix so to say. The sounds fit together snuggly. The production is all right, nothing too bad besides the LOUDNESS of the drums compared to the rest of the mix. It's just too generic, nothing special here to be awed by. If you compare it to other trance tracks, the beats and the overall sound of the mix just don't rise to the occasion. The mix is too long as well and could afford to be refined back to 3-4 minutes.

NO

BOOM TSS action.

I actually found myself enjoying this a bit. It's catchy, but it is indeed too generic and basic. I don't mind generic, but you gotta pull it off well - this doesn't. The intro starts out really cool with the automated processing. But after that things tended to all apart. There was one section after the intro where it repeated one bar for what seemed like forever. That part I found of little interest. There's way too much reverb here too, particularly on the driving beat.

Too straightforward an arrangement, ultimately. Mix it up, add your own melodic expansion. Something to show this is your mix. Adding a beat, changing the rhythm slightly doesn't make an OCR mix. I'm not crazy about the beat either to be honest, it feels out of place, such as at 3:10 area.

I don't mind the lack of harmonic support here, it works for this genre and in this context. The mix still feels fairly full. Let's be honest, a lot of electronica and trance isn't complex from a compositional/theoretical standpoint. What sets them apart is cool synth design, processing and great production. Those aspects are lacking here, in my view.

I also agree this is too long and just repeating a lot of same passages. Cutting them out and focusing on the meat of this mix would yield good results.

Not bad at all for what it is, definitely post this in the WIP/Completed forum - there will be listeners and forum goers that'll enjoy this. Take the information we've given and try to incorporate it in a future mix. Looking forward to hearing more from you with these suggestions in mind.

NO