*NO* Perfect Dark 'Superman Left Chicago'

djpretzel

Hi id like to resubmit my Perfect Dark Supermans In Chicago Mix

It was initially rejected due to copyrighted material usage. This has now been entirly removed. I personally think it sounded a lot better before but hey :(

Anyway, its not 'live' on my site so please use the direct link below.

Remix Of: Chicago

Game: Perfect Dark

Title: Superman Left Chicago

Hope you prefer this version

http://www.zophar.net/usf/pdusf.rar - 20b "Chicago: Stealth"

Oh, good stuff with the source. Remember from way back when Danny B made "Silent Ascent". Back then we didn't have the priviledge of having USF files to compare with, so I had to appreciate Dan's mix on it's own. The original though is nice and chill N64 stuff that works well as in-game music and of course has that GoldenEye feel due to Kirkhope's composition and samples.

The lead synth was kind of plain, but I actually liked the idea for the intro and like all of the widely panned effects. The beats at :12 didn't really seem to fit, but they were decent. Whatever effect was added in at :25 and used repeatedly didn't work, so I'm glad it stopped at :35. The sound balance gets a little sloppy as more and more elements were being added.

:48 went for a weird break section before bringing in a synth playing the "Chicago: Stealth" melody at :59. Right now, the lead synth is very plain, and the various beats and effects going on have nothing to do with the track in any rearrangement sense. If you remove the lead, you can't find anything accompanying or rearranging the source melody, so there's really not a lot of substance vis-a-vis the Chicago theme.

1:35-1:59 had some sampled effects I recognize from tons of other tracks, including (very gratuitously in) most of the Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact soundtrack. The beats and effects are actually louder than the lead synth. As far as OCR goes, the focus seems to be on the added content, and not the source tune, so already I'm not for this one.

Nonetheless, I really did like some actual rearrangement of the source when you changed the rhythms of the melody with the synth lead at 1:59. Though it was pretty liberal, That was at least something. That ended at 2:56, and the remaining minute focused on the beats and effects doing various stuff. I liked the last section from 3:24 until the end, even though that was wholly original.

On some level, I agree with Vigilante about the track seeming disjointed, but I thought the structure was fine overall and held up ok after several listens. The production was a little rough and imbalanced, but you could get something like this passed if you worked with the melody in more of a rearrangement sense.

The Chicago melody was basically converted into a trance lead carried by one lone-sounding synth, but none of the other instrumentation was inspired by the original. Work more towards reinterpreting the melodic content of the source material and making that the focus of the track. Cool stuff so far.

NO (resubmit)

The source offers a lot of material that I’m not hearing transferred to the mix. While it’s not essential to me to even use most of the source material, this mix essentially remixes only the background synth melody and doesn’t make significant use of the source lead melodies, the numerous key changes, the source’s bridges or other supporting melodies. In short, this mix is only loosely tied to the original, especially when the beats and unrelated FX start to take over the sound scene after the intro.

But the beats and FX are hot and I appreciate the work that went into putting that together. I like the ambient break-ish intro through 0:48 followed by an effects extravaganza through 0:59. The use of the source in the intro was decent, with a steady build from the slow traditional feel of the original to the fever pitch vibe of much of the mix. 1:00-1:59 has a tenuous hold on the source melody with only a single synth in a sea of effects and percussion reminding us that this is not an original piece. Similar situation with 2:00-2:54, except the theme isn’t played as conservatively. That’s great that the melody gets some remixing attention but I think it also weakens the ties to the source during that section. Correct me if I’m missing something but the entire last minute is original beatwork. Good beat work mind you, but not remixed material. Love the outro where the very slick coughs from the intro return, this time more prominent and ominous.

Great stuff but I need a better infusion of the source material to pass this. Spend as much time on melody and harmony as you do with percussion and FX and you will be golden.

NO (Please Resubmit)

Cool use of drums, loops and fx processing. Very cool in fact, but beyond that there's not much substance to the mix. Just a lot of synths almost sounding random with no direction. There's not much meat to the composition here. I'd like to see you focus more on that next time and give it a cleaner sound. Some of the elements didn't sit as well in the mix for me as they could have. Like the lead synth at around 1:15. I'd like to hear the beats varied more, they sound like generic loops, especially in the last minute where things seemed to be repeating and repeating and repeating.

This is probably the best submission I've heard from you to date. Good work on that and keep improving, but this mix as is, needs quite some work. NO