*NO* Phantasy Star 4 'Fly'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/gym/ps4.rar - 28 "Take Off! Landeel"

Phantasy Star IV stuff, and neither Gray nor zircon have commented yet??? OMG, y U so sl0\/\/, niggas?!???

The organ-like opening with pads seemed pretty good, then these weak bass kicks and percussion came in at :14 and didn't present a cohesive texture, IMO. Nonetheless, I can understand how you went in this direction to provide your own spin on the structure and the style of the original, so I appreciate that. I just don't think it was quite pulled off. Considering this was only a 3-minute mix, I felt the nearly minute-long intro was too long; get to the heart of the track faster or extend the track.

The synth line added at :57 would have been better served in the background. I also disliked the synth melody at 1:17 as it was very flat-sounding. From 1:31 until 2:14, a lot of stuff was sharing the same frequency range, resulting in a lot of clutter which you need to clean up. As Vig mentioned, the arrangement is pretty short, repetitive and underdeveloped.

Not even any usage of the actual source tune melody from :13-:33 of the original? Without anything like that to actually direct the piece, I don't see any practical appeal here, because the original material you placed on top of the source tune's foundation wasn't written well. Reference the source tune more. Stick around here and use the ReMixing and Works forums to your advantage.

NO

Drums in this are a little basic. The beat and snare patterns are repetative, and the sound of them is dry, could use a little extra mixing up. The harpsichord thing playing the rhythm chords in the background can be summarised as repetative too, could use some switching up, or at least edit the patterns a bit so it's not so repetative.

Overall the quality is good. The instrumentation fits together pretty fluently, it's just the choice of instruments and the dry sound following them that's dragging this piece down. The 80's synth that comes in at 2:17 sounds all right, could be a bit sharper though.

As Vig and Larry covered, there's plenty of room here for more creativity with the arrangement. Rather than taking repetative phrases from the original and looping them over and over in the piece, such as the harpsichord in this, you have room to edit them around and come up with less.. basic phrases.

Not too bad, but not quite there.

NO

The source is really basic, so I can understand why this is ended up a bit straight-forward. One thing you might want to consider is creating a medley properly using other themes from the game, if not only to mix it up.

Beyond this, I can't really add anything to this vote that the others already didn't cover. Too straightforward, too much potato, and not enough meat in terms of the composition. I would consider making the piece gradually change over time beyond what is presented here. My other beef is during the busier sections, things tended to get lost within itself; the textures didn't blend as well as they could have. The elements just sounded very disparate.

Production was was bland, but passable.

Above average. Keep working on it. NO