*NO* Cool Spot 'Time to Rave'

djpretzel

Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Cs_bonus.mid - Bonus Level

After having a listen through the soundtrack on vgmusic for Cool Spot, there's some cool music in this game, no pun intended.

Okay let's clear this one up quickly. Fake sounding guitar, immense ammounts of unintentional distortion and clipping. In terms of production, there's precious little attention gone into making this piece enjoyable to listen to.

In terms of arrangement, it's hard to tell among all the noise, but it sounded pretty close to the source material, I could at least hear the theme in there. Not that it really matters, since there's no chance that this mix is going to pass.

Good choice of game though.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/coolspot.rar - "Bonus Levels"

Weak synth guitar in here at :04. Yeah, tons of distortion going on due to sloppy/inexperienced mixing. Not sure how any objective ear wouldn't have a problem with how crunchy this is. Worse still at :20 once things got fuller and started clipping. Same issues at :45. Even worse at 2:20 near the finish.

Arrangement was pretty straightforward, going for the expansionist route, but the additions wouldn't be creative enough to sustain this, even if the production was great. The drum writing was pretty uninspired. I did appreciate the way you altered the rhythms of the source melody a little bit from 1:15-1:31 though. Listening through until the end, still not much going on. The was Luxury Crunchy minus the luxury.

Visit the ReMixing forum for production advice and the Works forum for fan feedback to help get other opinions on issues you need to work on. Chock it up to gaining some experience and move on to the next project.

NO

550025b.jpg

I liked the composition, the progression in particular was nice. But man this has so much distortion, and it's overly muddy too. Everything sounds crunchy and lo-fi. Too straightforward an arrangement was the final straw here. Though there was some nice change ups to your credit, this still needs a lot of work in the arrangement and production department. The less than appealing ending doesn't help matters much, I'm afraid.

As said above, check out the two forums linked to for further advice and feedback. Keep at it.

NO