Email:

User ID: 49344

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Street Fighter 2

Name of arrangement: Spiral Arrow

Name of Individual Song: Street Fighter 2 Cammy's Theme

Song hosted on you-tube:

Link to the original track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGXCbfo3JY

Motivation: Song was remixed and submitted to Capcom's Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Music Tribute

Thanks

------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGXCbfo3JY

• 1 month later...

Timestamping here:

0:35-0:47,

1:06-2:30

and from 3:35-4:04.

Things are checking out in terms of percent usage, but I would say it's on the low end in terms of arrangement itself. The source, when used, is either very repetitive (a two chord piano part) or pretty close to the original. With how much you cut and use the vocal clips, I feel like there's more you could to do cut and alter the source melodies and harmonies. The vocal samples are cut and glitched and while pretty repetitive, I do think they were pretty interesting. Not that I wouldn't mind you cutting down on them, but they are pretty creative.

The ending wasn't doing it for me; both due to the samples being fairly weak, and because the ending of just drums itself just isn't very strong. I don't really have a suggestion on how to make it better currently, but it feels like a cop-out as is, to be harsh.

Production has some aspects I'm not feeling as well. The snare overall is super weak, and whatever drum sample you use alone with the piano part is really fakey. I'd say they downright need to changed for better samples. The other samples I was feeling, and I think overall you've got a pretty good balance, although I might bring down the vocals a touch and bring up the other parts in some areas for better clarity.

There's some creativity here, but I feel that it isn't extended to the music enough for our standards. I'm not sure how much of an overhaul you'd like to do here, but personally I'd love to hear you work on this and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

I can agree with a lot of what DA is saying here. Vocal clips are a pretty prominent part of this mix, so I don't want to take that away from you - but I agree that they could be toned down in volume and/or frequency.

Lead synths weren't "bad" per se, but they sounded thin when stacked up against the other elements on the track. You could try doubling them up with a bit more of a mid-focused lead or see if you can get some more mid-level power through EQ work.

I actually don't have any problems with the snare here. It seems appropriate for a dance track and is strong enough IMO. I do, however, have some concerns about the piano. It definitely has an epiano tone, so while we're not going for realism here, it's a pretty dull tone for how prominent it is at times in the track. Also, it has some weird attack issues, which is especially noticable when it's playing alone at 2:17. It sounds like you're using some sort of portamento to slide to certain notes. I can't decide if it's intentional, but it sounds kinda awkward to me. If I'm overreacting to the piano, my colleagues can keep me honest here :).

On the positive side, there's good energy here and overall mixing sounds pretty solid. The percussion elements were a bit mixed (the hats in particular sounded weak to me), but the core kick and snare provided a good underpinning for the track.

On the arrangement side of the House :tomatoface:, they source connections are clearly here. I do agree that it could use some more personalization: both the piano chords and lead melodies (which is the vast majority of your source connection in the track) pretty much stick to the same notes/patterns as the original. Definitely could use a little more creativity here.

Gonna second the weak ending crit as well. I can understand a dj track type outro with the track reducing itself to the core beat for a set duration, but this more came off as just pasted on and a bit lazy. Just sayin :).

I think the combination of Production and Arrangment issues takes this to NO territory for me, but not very far into it. With a little work, this could def make the front page, so keep at it!

No, resubmit please

I think you're basically fine on the production side of things as m'colleagues discussed, the mix is good on the whole.

In terms of the arrangement, it's a fairly straight house adaptation and there are obviously some original additions in the bass, but it's definitely on the conservative side when the source is actually present. Ending is a bit of a cop-out as mentioned.

The voice samples are way overused and just get annoying pretty quickly in my opinion. The standards do say you can't base a remix on samples from the game, and while this isn't musically based on the samples per se, you do rely on them quite a lot,and they are a major part of the creative input to the remix which puts it in a very grey area.

What you've done is all fine, but it's just not quite an OCR style personalised re-arrangement to me - it comes across as a straight remix and that's not quite what we're looking for so don't be discouraged by the outcome of this vote.

NO