Title - "Skull-Head"

link to remix - attached

Name of game arranged - Doom Troopers

System: Genesis

Name of individual song arranged - Boss Fight, Venus

Link to the original soundtrack -

Yeah. I know. Again Doom Troopers.

Yeah. I know. Sounds not so good.

I'm pleased with this one. The feel of small studio room, imo. I like it. Piano could be suck.

Best of all!!! )

• 1 month later...

The drums and kicks brought in at :08 were too loud, and I wasn't a fan of the generic electrosynth used at :15, though it got buried soon enough after the guitar first appeared at :24. Funny how the guitar adaptation of the source tune sounded reminiscent of Frank Klepacki's "Hell March." :-)

Not sure the mallet percussion was the best fit here, but what can you do? Not a big deal. The piano sequencing at 1:20 was stiff and unrealistic, but was obscured enough that it wasn't a huge deal.

1:59's section with the guitar soloing came off as the most cohesive part of the track. It made me wish the guitar was the melodic lead for the majority of the piece, thinking back to it.

Like Max's Ecco piece, there were some flaws in how this was put together, but the sum total was more than solid enough to get the job done.

This was a relatively strong arrangement, one that was personalized and fleshed out with the awesome guitar and other solid instrumentation choices. Great energy and solid work from Max yet again.

YES

I'm a little worried about the opening being a bit un-cohesive overall. Once things settle in it gets much better, but things felt unclear at first. When things do get going, though, it's a pretty dark and gritty adaption that brings a lot of energy in the guitars and drums. Definitely a fan of the guitar soloing like Larry was, and I personally liked the mallet stuff.

Overall it's a fairly easy pass IMO, but I'd like Mak to work some more on keeping his parts focused and clear for the future.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

It definitely came together at the solo, and I agree with the other judges that while the song isn't 100% solid for the entire duration, it's a good mix and sounds above the bar. I think the mallet angle is pretty fresh and works together well. There is a smooth enough ramp into the heavier sections to make it not feel like 2 separate songs, and it's an interesting combination.

The energy was good, and you are progressing pretty well as a mixer. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I think I like this a lot more than the other judges - apart from some minor production issues, everything worked. Right from the intro, I liked the dark quirky mood that was set and once the drums kicked in, this reached an energy level that never flagged. The bursts of rhythm guitar, strings, and machine FX were awesomely placed, and the guitar solos all rocked. I also loved the variety of guitar tones you used; little touches like that really add to the replayability. Oh, and then somehow you fit a freakin' piano section in this too, and it's not even one of the quiet parts! Definitely my new favorite arrangement of yours, and an easy pass.

YES