*NO* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Ocarina of Time 'A Link to the Orchestra'

djpretzel

Email sub file A Link To The Orchestra.mp3

Hey guys, this is the first time I've sent in a mix. I'm not totally sure how it works, but here goes.

This is an orchestrated medley of a few songs from The Legend of Zelda (Kakariko, Menu, Overworld). For a long time, I've wanted to mix some music for you guys, as I feel that since I take so much advantage of the great music already here, I should try to share my own, but I just don't really have the software to do it. I do, however, have Finale 2005, which is a music making program which I used to arrange this piece (for an orchestration class at school). Since I love your site so much, I've been aching to be able to submit something, and this is the first chance I've got. I'm not sure if it's acceptable, as I think it's in midi, but I did include it as an mp3 file if that remedies that problem. I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time if it doesn't meet the requirements. If so, though, I'd appreciate it if you could at some point reply and tell me what I need to do differently, technically and compositionally.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good orchestrated version of the pieces mentioned above, but in all honesty, it doesn't stray far from the original source material. I understand that that's a big part of your site (originality), so if that's one of the problems regarding my mix, in your opinion, I'll take the constructive criticism and do something about it. I would just like to get some feedback as to how this ranks, generally, amongst most remixes that are sent in, and what I could do better.

Thanks a lot guys. I hope you enjoy it, if nothing else.

Hai

Remix Name: Squint

Email Address: hxnguyen05@gmail.com

Game Remixed: The Legend of Zelda

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Overworld" (loz3-04.spc), "Select Screen" (loz3-11.spc)

Didn't recognize anything at all from "Kakariko", whether that be "Kakariko Village" or "Soldiers of Kakariko Village".

Anyway, we break it down quickly. The sample quality is fairly weak. You've done a decent job with what you have, but it ultimately doesn't get the job done, and the sequencing doesn't always sound natural/human. The drums are one more noticeable aspect of that, and the note-to-note movements are decent, but nonetheless very artificial sounding.

The woodwinds are too loud versus the rest of the instrumentation, and overall the soundfield is very very sparse. Needs to be filled out more by beefing up the supporting instrumentation.

Head to the ReMixing & Works forums to learn how to improve your sounds (even for free) & how you use them, and obtain additional fan feedback on your material.

NO

the samples are rough. it's the first thing i think when i hit play. the kakariko tracks are from ocarina of time, so maybe thats why larry didnt hear them. the composition of the themes are rather creative. unfortunately none of the themes are developed to any extent. you have a handful of themes in a short song. you dont give yourself room to explore any of them. i say make the track twice as long with half as many themes and develop those ideas.

NO

Strings are kind of flat, the woodwind is brought in rather blandly, it comes into some pretty note for note flute playing from the selection screen. From 1:30 we have a trumpet I'm assuming plunking away with staccato notes in the background as a clarinet plays the overworld theme. We get into a more complex area after that, but it's pretty much the same as the overworld theme from the archive.

Overall it's not too bad, I just think the arrangement could have been more creative and more complex in the beginning of the piece. The production doesn't sound very realistic. It might have fit well in the game, but it needs to sound a bit more realistic, so to speak, as there are no confines in the quality of mastering in the world of remixing as opposed to mixing for a game on the SNES.

NO

Good orchestration in general. The arrangement though is very underdeveloped and feels like it touches on one theme and moves on and keeps moving on.

On the production - if you're stuck with these samples. I'd like to hear more reverb here, the intimacy of the mix doesn't give it any space and depth, especially with how sparse this is. The brass section for example sounds really small and not in the back as it would in a real orchestra set up. There's better free soundfont options out there, check those out and ask around in our Remixing forum.

This is a NO, but keep working at it. You have good ideas that should be explored.