*NO* Warcraft 2 'The Axe of Zul'jin'

djpretzel

Remixer name: Master Tee

email address: mrt203@ecs.soton.ac.uk

game remixed: Warcraft 2

name of individual song (as far as I know): orc 2

Hey,

This is my first remix contribution to your site. It's part of the Warcraft

2 soundtrack and is referred to in most midi transcriptions as "ORC2GM".

I haven't got a decent id3v2 editor so I've not been able to place all the tags (specifically "content type" and "copyright message") so I've listed all the required tags here.

Tags:

Album = http://www.ocremix.org

Composer = Glenn Stafford

Content type = game

Copyright message = Blizzard Entertainment

Original artist = PC

Original album = Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness

Lead Artist = Master Tee

Part of a set = Title = Warcraft 2 The Axe of Zul'jin

OC ReMix Year = 2005

Warcraft 2 is such a cool game and I'm pretty surprised that no-one has attempted to remix any of the tracks from it. My guess is that they're all a bunch of pussies who are afraid of time sigs that aren't 4/4.

Here is the link:

I hope you like it,

ciao,

Master Tee...

I gotta say, I thought there were some very cool ideas behind the mix. The integrated sfx + the percussive sequencing were both good, for example, and the overall interpretation was quite creative. The big problem here of course.. the sounds :( I'm sorry, man, but the sounds here are very bad. They sound GM-like in quality. You gotta get some better stuff, man! There are free synths at www.kvr-vst.com and free samples scattered all around. ReMixing forum would be the place to go to look around. Sections like 1:13 could be spruced up too.. that's where you can hear the low fidelity of the samples you are using the most. The actual USAGE of the sounds is good, it's just a matter of improving on them. You also might want to use more effects, like reverb, delay, compression (etc) to really maximize the mix and make some of the 'real' instruments like the marching snares sound more realistic.

Cool vibe overall, just bring the production up to speed and this will earn a YES from me.

NO

Warcraft II ~ Tides Of Darkness & B.Net Edition (Game Rip) - 16 "Orc 02"

http://www.mirsoft.info/wogm_download.php?data=YTozOntpOjA7czo0OiIyODI0IjtpOjE7aToxMTMwNDU1MDg1O2k6MjtpOjM7fQ== - Orc2gm.mid

Listened to both the original version and the MIDI because I can. This didn't seem very hot at all to me. Maybe some potential was there, but I didn't hear it. Fairly plodding and boring.

The instrumentation certainly attempts to put a different spin on the source tune with the electronic style, but sounds like a total downgrade in sound quality, and the arrangement as compared to the original doesn't have much going for it. Nothing particularly interpretive that I heard.

The instrumentation is all dry and flat and the texture is poor. No N-R-G, homey. The inclusion of the marching drums from 1:53-2:21 was a low point, as adding something that's meant to sound rich and real in concept doesn't work when it sounds so robotic and synthetic.

You should definitely take zircon's advice in terms of exploring new, free sounds and refining your synth design techniques, but at the same time, I wouldn't waste the effort on that to specifically work further on this. Better to move on to fresh ideas, or at the least apply more substantial interpretation here.

NO

what i remember about the warcraft soundtrack is that it wasnt terribly memorable.

November 1, 2005 (Reuters): Millions of Warcraft fanboys attack OCR - to which they were diverted to UnMod. 99% of said groups (warcraft fanboys/unmodders) disappeared and were never to be heard from again. The furry thread remained intact, however, to the chagrin of the superior minded OCR members. Two birds were ultimately killed with one stone though..... Peace reigned supreme for 1000 years. Subsequently Avg. IQ of the net increases by 49%.

Now as far as the mix, I'm enjoying this on some level, but that has a lot to do with the source material. The arrangement here is basic. You have some basic musical elements going on, that's supplemented with mostly percussion. The synths are thin and could do with more processing. The other elements are a sound downgrade for sure. I did like the drums and percussion. They were the highlight of the mix for me. But again, there's not much going on here. You have a framework of a melody and beat, nothing else. Needs more conceptual expansion as well.

NO