GarageBand .cst files

I sometimes get bored at my local library, so I go on their Macs to do stuff on GarageBand. I thought it'd be pretty nice to share the patches I made, but I have no idea how to.

The patches should be in \~\Library\Application Support\GarageBand\Instrument Library\Track Settings\Software\. The files are .cst files, and I thought it'd be a good idea to try to find those files, copy them to my thumbdrive, and share as, perhaps, bonus items to go with an album download or something. For some reason, the patches I saved aren't appearing anywhere in the folder. Any ideas?

I sometimes get bored at my local library, so I go on their Macs to do stuff on GarageBand. I thought it'd be pretty nice to share the patches I made, but I have no idea how to.

The patches should be in \~\Library\Application Support\GarageBand\Instrument Library\Track Settings\Software\. The files are .cst files, and I thought it'd be a good idea to try to find those files, copy them to my thumbdrive, and share as, perhaps, bonus items to go with an album download or something. For some reason, the patches I saved aren't appearing anywhere in the folder. Any ideas?

It may be that the library has something set on the computers that interferes with saving files to disk or automatically saves user files in some other location. Can you open the patches in Garage Band and then save them directly to the flash drive?

The only thing I can do is use the patches so far, but I don't know if there's a function like "Open File Location". I tried using Spotlight to search for the .cst file, but apparently it's not on "iMac".

Whenever I save a patch, there isn't an option to select the location. Is that how it usually is? I've never used GarageBand at any other location, so I'm not sure.

I tried that already, and GarageBand doesn't drag files like that, straight from the Software Instrument creation window.

I can save the .cst file, but it doesn't show up with all the other .cst files in the folder that supposedly has all the presets. \~\Library\Application Support\GarageBand\Instrument Library\Track Settings\Software\

My guess would be that the library has that part of the hard drive set as read-only or something to prevent users from screwing things up, though I would think that Garageband would give an error message if it were unable to save the file. Can you load the patches you saved from within an entirely new project, or can you only use them within the project you created them in? If you can't open them from a new project, that probably means the patch files are't actually getting saved.

Do you know if the computer accesses programs from a network drive? It may be that Garageband is installed locally on the machine but is actually running from and saving to a network drive. If this is the case, looking at the local drive(s) would only turn up the local folder that isn't actually being used. Are there other drives listed in the finder that a search doesn't look at by default, and can you search them individually?

Do you know if the computer accesses programs from a network drive? It may be that Garageband is installed locally on the machine but is actually running from and saving to a network drive. If this is the case, looking at the local drive(s) would only turn up the local folder that isn't actually being used. Are there other drives listed in the finder that a search doesn't look at by default, and can you search them individually?

This Mac is letting me search through using the option "This Mac", so I'm assuming it does let me search outside of the current user account folders, though I could be wrong. I did try searching on the "Shared > All" option too, and they didn't show up. :|

What you said might be what's happening, though, maybe.

This Mac is letting me search through using the option "This Mac", so I'm assuming it does let me search outside of the current user account folders, though I could be wrong. I did try searching on the "Shared > All" option too, and they didn't show up. :|

What you said might be what's happening, though, maybe.

Yeah, if you're searching This Mac, network drives aren't getting searched. Been a while since I used a Mac, but there should be an option to search shared drives, assuming the library hasn't set it to disallow that or something (see http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-search-your-mac-with-mac-spotlight.html).

EDIT: D'oh. Just noticed that you did search on shared drives, so disregard the above.

I don't use Spotlight much, but I know the regular search mode doesn't actually search the libraries, which is just as well for newbs but a bit annoying for more experienced Mac folks that do stuff in the library and system. The patches could have been saved in the shared library that you find next to users and System and whatnot.

It could also be that you're looking for instrument patches in the track preset folder. Check the instruments' own patch folders in a nearby directory, or make a track preset to test what actually should show up in the folder you're currently looking in.

I don't use Spotlight much, but I know the regular search mode doesn't actually search the libraries, which is just as well for newbs but a bit annoying for more experienced Mac folks that do stuff in the library and system. The patches could have been saved in the shared library that you find next to users and System and whatnot.

It could also be that you're looking for instrument patches in the track preset folder. Check the instruments' own patch folders in a nearby directory, or make a track preset to test what actually should show up in the folder you're currently looking in.

I looked within this folder, originally:

\~\Library\Application Support\GarageBand\Instrument Library\Track Settings\Software\

Considering you have a MAC IIRC, can you try saving a patch and telling me relatively where it goes? Just so I can see if the library itself is filtering out the files or something.

EDIT: I FOUND THEM! =DDD

They're in the "\~\Library\Application Support\GarageBand\Instrument Library\Track Settings\Software\" folder in specifically my own account's apparently separate directory. It is NOT in iMac. :D