*NO* Chrono Trigger 'World Revolution Mix'

OceansAndrew

• 4 weeks later...

This is pretty exciting, though it feels very close to the original's structure.

The horns taking the really technical melody are buried and not really distinct at all, and are covered pretty strongly by the percussion. I'm not even sure horn is the best instrument to have that melody, as playing that accurately and crisply on a horn seems near impossible.

There is some creative expansion in the percussion, and choir, but beyond that, it is really too close for my comfort level to the original. The ending is also abrupt and even the reverb tail of it is cut prematurely.

Balancewise, I feel that the percussion is way louder than everything else and feels like it's in the front of the orchestra instead of behind it.

I think there are some good ideas here, but a lot more refinement and personalization needs to go into this before it can pass the judges.

No

• 2 weeks later...

Production and sequencing were not bad, but I agree with OA that the structure hewed too close to the original. His comment about the horns is also dead-on. He didn't mention this but I thought it really could have used more rise and fall, rather than staying so energetic throughout. It felt like it was hitting you over the head, and it got a little repetitive to listen to. I won't say you shouldn't resubmit this, but you'd have to do a major rethinking in order to meet what we're looking for.

NO

Your arrangement needs a more creative title. :-)

The quality of the opening brass samples was already pretty suspect when this started. The backing percussion gives this a manic, directionless feel despite holding fast to the melodic structure. And how about that melodic structure; not much going on there as far as interpretation. By 1:45, I was waiting for some sort of dropoff or major drum pattern change to create dynamic contrast, but it never came. 1:57-on basically serves as a slightly more active second loop. There's just no synergy going on with the drums & the melody.

You need much more melodic interpretation, more dynamic contrast, more realistic-sounding leads, and a better balance of volume between the drums and the lead. Agreed with Palp, this would need a ton of reworking to get it where it needs to be, but you may want to give it a shot to see how far you can take it, even if it doesn't pass. Don't be discouraged, Brian, and keep learning.

NO