*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Terra's Theme (Goddess of Restoration)'

DragonAvenger

• 4 weeks later...

The samples in the intro of the mix sounded pretty nice, but the articulation on the choir was pretty fake-sounding. Once you reach the body of the mix, that same critique really applies to just about every instrument. The flute sample is used very frequently throughout the mix, and unfortunately there's a total lack of humanization going on with that instrument. The vibrato is intense and definitely needs to be automated so that it's used more sparingly and tastefully.

Transition-wise, the section that enters about halfway through the song sounds pasted into place, the transitions in and out of that part are pretty much non-existent. You need to develop a more natural flow between those parts of the song.

On a personal note, something about the phrasing of the Terra melody is bothering me. I feel that there needs to be a pause between the two halves of the melody, and when they're played quickly in succession like they are in this mix, it just sounds awkward.

I admire the liberties you took with the original source, but I feel like you've got a long way to go in terms of developing your orchestral production and arrangement skills. Good luck! :-)

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Wes covered a lot of issues that I wanted to mention here. The lack of humanization is what definitely sticks out the most, and it really makes everything feel very robotic. The phrasing is what sticks out next, which is what Wes touched on. Having the two halves of the main riff played together is awkward because the second half disregards the downbeat of the measure, and the bass drum trying to emphasize it causes a clash between the two. If you want to rework the phrasing how you have it, it needs to be supported by the backing parts as well. The ending also kinda fizzles out, and I'd like to hear a stronger approach there.

Overall the samples aren't bad, and if you can rework them with some more humanization and balance they could definitely be workable. The arrangement needs some more work, but could also be reworked with the new phrasing as well. It will definitely take effort, but you have a base here that has promise.

NO

I am feeling the arrangement a bit more than the other judges, but i do think the sequencing needs to be a lot more humanized. I can't say I prefer the new rhythm of the Terra melody, but it's interesting while still being very obvious the source.

The mixing was fine, but I think working to get more expression out of your samples is a pretty solid goal.

No, please resubmit