*NO* Turok 2 'Distress Call'

djpretzel

Uhm, hello, the name is El Coatl and I'm quite new at OcRemix (ID 19978, if that is of any importance ;) ) ... I just wanted to submit a remix (Now who'd have guessed that?) ... My first one, by the way.

It is based on the BGM of the Level "Port Of Adia" of the N64-Game "Turok 2"

... I see there's one more remix of this game, so there is no further need to bother you with more Information about it (the game), I guess.

It does not stick very close to the original in its way of instrumentation and composition, but I would be lying if I told you that it was meant to do...

Actually, I wanted to create a kind of new dramatic feeling with a touch of "scratchy-synth-guitar-coolness" that's been missing in the original soundtrack. The Remix was meant to sound darker an more "evil" than the original did. I added passages of relaxation to make it more complex, and the outro-part is something I like very much about this piece... Ambient, in the way I always wanted to do this ;) ...

And before I forget, here is the link:

Just a bit of additional info...

Email-Address: dracophilia@hotmail.com

Uhm, please excuse my (maybe) "strange" english, I'm from Germany.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/T2Adia.mid - "Port of Adia"

Good stuff in trying to change the rhythms of the original. Percussion and bassline coming in at :07 make the track really dull-sounding in terms of frequencies. Everything needs to be sharpened up with some higher frequencies, and the instruments need more separation, as they're mooshing into each other. The faux-guitar at :29 sounds decent but obviously artificial, plus, as previously mentioned, it bleeds terribly into the backing string samples (which are weak, honestly).

The quieter section at 1:10 was a little plain-jane, but nonetheless offered some good contrast, before adding more percussion and guitar at 1:29 to spice it up. In terms of the arrangement, good stuff keeping things changing and developing with the move back into upbeat material at 1:54. The whole track manages to morph around like this, which was a large positive.

Everything still sounded terribly mooshed together and dulled, but you've at least got a good framework in place. If you can clean up the soundfield/production, and get the samples sounding better or step up the actual sample quality, it would be a significant step in the right direction.

Hit the ReMixing forum and see what you can find there to help you out in that effort, and don't be bashful about posting your works-in-progress to the Works forum for fan feedback. Hang around the site more and keep working on it.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Never heard the source before, but I'm liking it a lot. Nice choice.

Very 80's style intro to the mix. At least, until the drums come in. They're all right, but the bassline sounds like it's a little too punchy, making the bass of the mix sound quite muddy, at least initially.

When the guitarsynth comes in, that sounds really nice. The sliding strings in the background are a very nice touch. The sounds are a little thing as Larry mentioned, but the way you've used them, very nice. Unfortunately after 1:12 the mix just... stopped. The drums are bashing away with a very basic sounding arrangement, the bassline plodding away by itself and the guitar occasionally pipes up. It really sounds like something else is missing in that section. All the way up until the guitar comes back in at 2:25. Even the transition to bringing the guitar back in is non-existent.

The mix started out quite promising, but unfortunately it's just fallen away on the creativity. If you run out of ideas, you need to refine the mix and work on making each section interesting, rather than just flooding the mix with the same stuff for 4 and a half minutes.

Still, the few ideas that were presented were nice to listen to, and this is pretty good quality stuff. Just need to push those creative skills a little further.

NO

Yeah definitely has a 80s vibe running throughout the mix. I think the arrangement and composition ideas are pretty good, but the execution is definitely lacking. The guitar/synth tone is just ugly and too brittle. There's no clarity, everything sounds mush. A lot of 80s stuff has a lot of reverb and delays yes, but there is still a way to make it sound distinct. I'd watch your delay/reverb tails and shorten those. I'd like to hear better attention paid to the production subtleties. The harmonic elements for example sounds fuzzy and dull and lofi.

Work on cleaning up this puppy from top to bottom as it has promise. Not there as of yet though. NO