*NO* EarthBound 'Krakonica'

djpretzel

Remixer name - Atmozpheryc

Real name - Jared Hooton

email - toastman__@hotmail.com

website - www.mixposure.com/atmozpheryc

USERID - I have no idea how to find this. My username is Toastman, but I looked for an ID and didn't find any.

Game remixed - Kraken theme from Earthbound

System - SNES

Remix title - Krakonica

iTunes doesnt let you input every ID3 tag that you ask for so I didn't know what to do after I filled what I could.

I've been making my own music for several years now but have always found it difficult to remix others music. I guess once I hear the original it's hard for me to change it up if I like it. This is my first remix that I would consider worthy of being posted here so I decided to give it a whirl. This is a kind of eclectic song because it has many different types of moods in it that blend together. Hopefully people like it and give me some feedback.

I wouldn't consider this as good a production as some of my original works

but like I said, its hard for me to break into remixing. Hopefully I can

get some others going and improve as that is the main goal, to keep getting better.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/mo2.rsn - "Kraken of the Sea" (mo2-097.spc)

Decent percussion and synth driven intro, though tha gated synth replicating the source tune is pretty basic. Some very weak, defaulty beats joined in at :32, joined by some drumloops at :48. Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that it's not gonna get too complicated here.

A string pad comes in at 1:03 for something a little different, but the overall groove is still the same untlil 1:35 finally changes the atmosphere substantially. The low gated synth and loops gradually crept back in at 1:51 though. Piano at 3:09 was very robotic.

I'm hard pressed to give a track like this much credit. It's not produced poorly, and does get by pretty well simply rotating 4 or 5 defaulty instrumentation patterns in and out in various combinations. But that's all there is to it, and you're gonna have to do more than that for any shot at the pass. Still, a promising track for a first sub. Look forward to hearing your next one, provided there's more substance.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

ReMixing might be hard for you, because you picked one of the strangest and most difficult-to-remix soundtracks around! Try working with more melodic material, eg. Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man, Zelda (etc) and I think you'll find it's much easier.

As Larry mentioned, there's not a lot to say that's WRONG with this. Your production values are relatively solid (though the sounds could be a little more dynamic and unique), and you work with the original tune to a certain degree. But you need to take it to the next level by adding more substance. More variations, more patterns, more cohesiveness, etc.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The source piece for this, much like most of the Earthbound soundtrack is very basic and strange. Enjoyable, but I can imagine how difficult this would be to remix.

Right off the bat we're hit with a dry synth sound and over-reverbed xylophone sound. The synth bass sounds identical to the one in the source, and it doesn't really add anything new except for the percussion buildup over the top. The buildup doesn't even really lead anywhere, as at 1:06 you just drop a very strange and dry sounding synth sweep over the top and keep the percussion grooves going.

The break at 1:40 was nice, but as with the rest of the piece, very simple. Bassline kicks back in at 1:55 with no changes. Percussion comes back in at 2:02, nothing new really added throughout the rest of the mix.

I'd take zircon's advice and work with a soundtrack that's more melodic and simpler to remix than the earthbound soundtrack. At least until you work out a proper style that works with this soundtrack.

NO