OCR02704 - *YES* Sonic Colors 'Will-o'-the-Wisp'

OceansAndrew

Games: Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)

Sonic Colors composer:

Kenichi Tokoi (sound producer)

Tomoya Ohtani

Fumie Kumatani

Mariko Nanba

Hideaki Kobayashi

GameGear composer:

Naofumi Hataya

Title: Will-o'-the-Wisp

Judge stuff:

Pretty much uses just stuff within the first 10 seconds of each source so shouldn't be too confusing.

Usage:

0:00 - 0:11 Underground Zone

0:16 - 0:34 Both

0:34 - 0:52 Planet Wisp (you hear it on the backing piccolo / violin)

0:52 - 1:29 Planet Wisp (hear it on violin / trumpet)

1:29 - 1:47 Underground Zone

1:47 - 2:07 Planet Wisp

2:07 - 2:21 Planet Wisp solo section (on the beautiful Chamberlin flute, xylophone, violin)

2:21 - 2:40 Underground Zone played on the Xylophone

2:44 - 3:05 Planet Wisp solo section again

3:05 - 3:23 Underground Zone

3:23 - 3:41 Planet Wisp (same section as 0:34 minus guitar/drums/etc)

3:41 - 4:18 Planet Wisp

4:18 - end Underground Zone with some Planet Wisp

Go ahead and post it if it passes, and the other Sonic mix too "Don't Be a Crepe". No point holding them back when they're already public.

MIX NOTES:

Another song for the Sonic chapter of that album I wanna make. For this one, I made a giant session with 4+gb worth of samples just because I wanted to prepare a template that had the basics in it -- full band, full orchestra, choir, some ethnic instruments, some mellotrons. Specifically the Chamberlin samples which sound pretty incredible, if I didn't point it out as a mellotron sample you might not have even known. This song is super stuffed with the orchestra because I tried to put a better emphasis on that than I have in the past, make it more out front rather than just buried. And I recorded the string "chords" as separate violins to emphasize realism rather than just record it as chords. It really comes out as a wall of sound and it's super heavy and I like it that way, hope it is not seen as being "too much" or "muddy" when the judgement comes around.

The cool thing is I could render the orchestra/ethnic stuff on its own and it would sound good, or the full band on its own and either way it would sound like an interesting song. Together, it should sound like totes interesting yo.

Thanks ya'll. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7zkAGXmRc

This sounds pretty good to me, though there are a few empty sections near the beginning with just super hard hitting guitar and mallets. It feels really disjointed and could use some string beds supporting it or something.

Once it got going it was solid, though I thought the lead playing could have been a lot tighter. It's an interesting use of the source, since the original was really peppy and this has a doom-style droning grind to it, but I think it's above the bar. :-)

Yes

I really like how full-bodied the mixing on this track sounds. Your backing instrumentation is lush and thick, and the lead guitar tone works perfectly. As with pretty much all of your more ambitious style-fusions, there's some elements that don't quite click, but I think at the end of the day, the raw creativity and overall musicianship contained within the arrangement trumps the little nitpicks.

The little ethnic breakdown provides some great contrast to the hard-rocking orchestral fare of the rest of the track. Very cool, unexpected take on the sources that only you could come up with, Brandon :-P

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool track, the arrangement is pretty damn awesome. Some sweet soloing, some good personalisation and melding of the sources, and I felt it all clicked instrumentally.

However, I do have some nitpicks. This track is REALLY busy, to the extent that there is alot of details that get lost in the mix, and overall it makes this feel really overblown. I'm not so sure mixing is the issue, it could have been general overcompression, but the mixing could have been improved to give everything a little bit more clarity I feel. Like OA, I also noticed the guitar imperfections during those speedy guitar solos - as someone who also does this, my advice is don't be afraid to slow down the pace with your guitar playing if its a little too fast for you to play cleanly! It was a reasonable job overall tho, and that organ solo was awesome.

Its got a few niggling flaws, but the strength of the arrangement sees this one over the bar. Nice work bro!

YES