djpretzel

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Gilrad

Email: gilradthegreat@gmail.com

Forum UserID: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3620

ReMix Info:

Name of the game remixed: Chrono Trigger

Name of individual songs ReMixed: Singing Mountain

This is basically the second time I have ever put serious effort into a piano composition. Most everybody I have shown it to thought it was amazing, so I figured it might stand a chance against what I consider professional quality judges.

Look forward to it eventually making it's way through the queue.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Singing Mountain" (ct-3-01.spc)

Not bad for a live performance. I'm certainly glad the arrangement is there. I dunno, it could be because I don't have the benefit of listening on my headphones, but this doesn't sound very emotive. The performance has its moments; its not poor or beginner-ish at all so don't get me wrong, but it seems somewhat empty/sparse. I can't help but feel that it sounds simplistic on occasion. The playing seems too rigid at times, like you're not actually cutting loose during the more upbeat parts.

Oooh, you be clippin' it HARD around 2:15. :'-( Too bad about the distortion there.

I'll gladly reconsider with my headphones for my usual setup, but looking at how the higher frequency range is absent here and the track is in mono, I gotta go NO and I doubt it'll change. Production's gonna have to improve to have a shot. Can you add a little spice to the performance? Perhaps you simply need more takes of this to perform this arrangement at its best.

The performance here sounds kind of flat. The bass notes on the piano you played this on are very powerful and sound like they're overpowering the higher notes when you really start bashing them. Especially from about 0:58 and on. The issues with the quality there kill the mix. You need to be more gentle on piano's that have such powerful lower key notes. If this is sequenced then it should be easy to fix up with some attentative mastering.

The clipping at 2:15 can be taken care of through the same means.

The arrangement is all right. Could possibly be a bit more daring rather than being the same pace and general tone right the way through. Especially towards the end. If you're willing to resubmit this one. Work on the volume levels of the lower notes, make the quality of the piano sound as clear as you can.

NO

mono!!~

some of the intervals on the left hand are too close together and they sound muddy.

aside from this, the biggest problem is that the arrangement is predictable. there are no unconventional rhythms...it's fairly predictable arpeggiated 8th notes.

make it more rhythmically interesting and watch your range.

NO

Larry, piano recordings typically don't have much in the high range. The instrument just.. doesn't produce those frequencies, most of the time. I would say however that the recording is not that great overall. As several people mentioned, it's mono, and for another thing the dynamics are no good (clipping in places). Try using some light compression or limiting to ensure that you keep a decent dynamic range without have clipping/distortion. Also if you can just get your hands on a better mic (or TWO mics so you can record in true stereo so to speak) that would be great too.

I thought the arrangement here was pretty good. There are times where you stay a little too much in the low ranges and it sounds muddy, but that could be because of the recording. Like Vig said, some more interesting rhythmic stuff would definitely help if you wanted to spice things up.

Polish and resubmit.

NO