OceansAndrew

Contact Information

ReMixer Name: McTricky

UserID: 49821

Submission Information

Games Arranged: The Legend of Dragoon

Name of Arrangement: Dragon Rave

Individual Song Arranged: Battle 1

This would be my first proper video game remix. Upon playing Legend of Dragoon again, I realize that whilst the first battle theme is rather simple, it's still a more fitting track to use as a battle theme compared to the others in the game, and this one was played the LEAST. That said, I decided to incorparate my personal style into this track and arrange it a little bit to make this remix. The remix starts off rather slow, with lush strings that slightly foreshadow the melody of the original source to open the piece. After about 40 seconds is where the magic begins where I decided to see what I could do with the track's main bassline. At 1:47 I decided add in an original part from me, that still took cues from the original piece, such as the occasional harps that play. This ReMix was made in the intention to make you sub-conciously nod your head to its ryhthm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWYH5s0X7Tk

• 1 month later...

Personally I don't find the original source all that interesting, but I can see how you are working with it, and there's definitely some good additions here that are making it more interesting. I'd say that while you're on the right track in terms of arrangement, I'd like to hear some more variation in the backing parts that you have going. Some parts feel like they are playing over and over until you reach the next section. Adding in some little variations like you did with other parts of the arrangement will definitely help. I do like your overall progression, and your original writing fits well.

That ending, however, is very sudden and really doesn't match what you have going on. You really need to flesh that out.

Production is where this is really losing ground. Overall the song is pretty mechanical, and the realism suffers from it. Most of the instruments aren't terrible sounding, but treated as is they aren't conveying the realism they need. I'm also noticing a lot of the string parts have a slow attack that is making them sound out of time with the other parts going on. Adjusting that or nixing the samples for something else might be a good idea. Adjusting a little bit of the balance might be in order too, specifically how up front the harp sounds at times compared to the rest of the mix.

I think you have a pretty good start here, but there's definitely some work to go. Use our WIP forums to get some more advice on how to clean this up, and I'd like to hear it again :)

NO (resubmit)

The drum beats were good, and some of the bass stuff was really nice, but as Deia mentioned, the sections themselves felt a bit static, and the production overall felt pretty lossy. I think using some stronger samples would help, though even EQing what is there right now to have some more clarity would help improve this.

The ending is also really sounding like a cop out; for as much care that was put into the rest of the track, the ending should have a similar level of polish.

This is a pretty solid foundation of a track, but some additional variety in the partwriting and a stronger ending, along with some cleaner samples will be needed to get it to OCR level. I hope to hear an update of this soon! :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Some very comprehensive votes from the previous two judges makes this pretty easy for me. I like the vibe you're going for here, the jungle-style beats work pretty well with the orchestral instruments you're using for melody/backing parts. It's a cool style fusion, but as mentioned, the samples are pretty low-quality without much expression, and the arrangement itself stays pretty static throughout. The lead string section is the only part that really changes up much throughout the song. Considering the runtime, I feel this warrants some additional variation and/or trimming the arrangement down.

Some cool ideas here but it needs some additional time in the oven. Good luck, hit up the WIP forums if you need additional assistance from community members, or for suggestions on how to get more mileage from your samples.

NO (resubmit!)