*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Prelude to Sin Part 1'

djpretzel

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/FF10_psf.rar - To Zanarkand, Prelude

Immediately we're presented with a flat and dry piano sound. A sharper sound would help bring out the right hand from under the power of the left hand in this case.

The left hand of this remix is very basic from what I understand about piano compositions. The prelude section can't even really be considered a remix, since it's pretty much just different scales being played in sequence. The piece starts to pick up from around 1:48 when "To Zanarkand" kicks in. The left hand playing a pseudo-prelude to melody in the right hand is a nice idea. It's dropped at 2:10 to revert back to the same left hand as in the source and sort of switches back and forth between the two.

The question that presents itself is whether or not combining two themes is enough in itself to count as a remix? In this case I would say no, as apart from the combination, there is little reinterpretation of the "To Zanarkand" theme. Considering the original is piano, you'd have to take quite a different approach to really remix the theme also on a piano.

It's an interesting idea, and it turned out all right. But there isn't enough reinterpretation of the theme to warrant a place on OCR.

NO

Sounds played to MIDI and rendered with soundfonts. Not bad, but the sound quality is lacking. Definitely doesn't sound like a real piano, despite the intention. Yeah, I thought "To Zanarkand" was decently performed but not really meaningfully arranged. It's adapted and arranged for piano, and of course I hear some personalized ideas, but I still felt it was too conservative overall. I liked the usage of "The Prelude" all things considered.

But yeah, the production is just bad. Piano indeed sounds flat and dry and there's some audible hiss going on. The performance needs more body, more complexity and needs to flow more gracefully. So you should see what you can do in the ReMixing forums on the production end and simply work to enhance your performance techniques. You seem to be improving though, and this doesn't sound bad at all.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to like this more than Larry and TO. I think there's some really creative stuff going on in the left hand in particular. This is without a doubt, Xerol's best mix. This to me is a marked step forward for him. There are moments here, especially with what the left hand is doing that remind me of Bladiator's style. There are some moments where the performance starts to weaken though, like at around 1:25. My favorite sections were the beginning, middle and end. In between those sections there's a lot of hit or miss.

I think you need to focus on adding more tonal color and notes to supplement the left hand playing.

Arrangement is probably one of the weaker elements here though. It's not as expansive or as interesting as what I'm used to hearing from you. I think you did expand some of the left hand stuff here and there, but the structure and melodic progression is fairly straightforward.

The production, I don't think is as bad as the other judges cite. I think the sample is fine. But I think this does need more reverb. Which piano soundfont are you using? I can recommend a few to you in greater detail elsewhere.

The question that presents itself is whether or not combining two themes is enough in itself to count as a remix? In this case I would say no, as apart from the combination, there is little reinterpretation of the "To Zanarkand" theme. Considering the original is piano, you'd have to take quite a different approach to really remix the theme also on a piano.

Agreed. Piano to piano conversions require more focus on the expansion of the composition and of the performance as well.

Keep it up Xerol. I think you're really progressing in many departments. Just keep working at it.

NO