djpretzel

Remixer Name: SynthR

Email: synthr@cogeco.ca

Game Remixed: Streets of Rage 2

Song Remixed: Go Straight

Remix Title: I'm Raging

Original Composer: Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima

Comments:

I was actually just introduced to this site by a friend of mine who suggested I submit my track, although I feel my track isn't very good. Anyway, this is my first remix of a song from a game but I've been writing my own original music for some years now. Streets of Rage 2 was one of my favourite games when I was younger and the entire soundtrack, especially 'Go Straight', has been heavily engraved in my soul. I didn't want to completely change the style or rhythm of 'Go Straight' but wanted to bring it out from the Sega days without destroying it's feel. I wanted to keep the classic 90's dance beat and what I felt were the most important aspects of the song while writing a few new parts. For instance, the bassline and the melody that comes in at 00:59. The remix isn't a real floor mover but geared towards a more relaxed listener. Enjoy!

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sor2.rar - "Go Straight" (StreetsOfRage2-01.gym)

Very plain-jane and uncreative arrangement. Production was decent at least. No offense meant, as I'm not just trying to shit on this track, but you've actually managed to make this less melodic and less interesting than the source material. The original sections lack any interesting writing and feel like complete filler. Rinse and repeat at 1:58. This is like the original, only stripped of all feeling.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

You generally did succeed in your intended purpose. However, our guidelines dictate something that adds more creative and personal flair infused in the arrangements. This is too straight laced. I wouldn't necessarily say this is a stripped down version - the mixer's intended purpose, is shall we say, different.

Though ultimately I think this is way too lacking in several fronts, I'm afraid. Too bland an approach, too repetitive, and the production values are simply plain. Look into more effective synth design, effects processing. I know you're going for the classic 90s sound, and that's fine, but you have to supplement that with something really catchy. This feels like an upgrade/side grade to the original, but more repetitive.

I suggest you use our WIP/Completed forum to get further forum goer feedback before submitting in the future. NO