Yoshi's Island cave music

CC Ricers

This is pretty cool. Love the 1:40 area especially. The choir pads at 1:48 are mm mm so good too ;) Not sure on my feelings on the weird voice clip effects in it, as they seem somewhat out of place, but it could work.

Good remix over all imo. The build up does seem a tad slow, but with this trance/dnb genre, it shouldn't be too much of an issue imo.

It does feel a bit flat for the first 1:30. I think this is mostly because the song starts off with very little melodic presence (not much chord progression either, for that matter). Also, there's very little dynamic range in the first 0:35 seconds, which on its own is not that outlandish a time span to go without shifting the over-all intensity-level of a song, but at the start of a song, it feels like an eternity. Whether you choose to slowly build momentum or start by blasting the listener in the face as a declaration of war, it's important to establish some kind of direction in the beginning, imo. Sorry to belabor the point since you already identified it as a potential trouble-spot, but I do think this section can be improved without betraying the genre.

Things start getting progressively more interesting from 1:30 to 2:05 when you introduce more harmonization, chord changes and melody, and then again from 2:35 and onwards as the filter transitions into a reprisal of the sfx rhythms.

Inclusion of sfx tends to be a risky proposition, as it's easy for listeners to be turned off by them if they aren't balanced perfectly on that thinnest of tightrope lines between tastefulness and tackiness. Personally, I feel that the sfx work well here. They're reminiscent of Heath Morris' "Tricky Swamp Style" remix (based on "Bayou Boogie" from DKC2), which is just so cheeky about the sfx that I can't help but smile whenever I hear it.

This is a great start. Lots of cool ideas in there. You just have to be careful not to lose your audience before it gets to the interesting stuff, imo.