*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Dreamchaser'

djpretzel

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/FF7_psf.rar - 209 Chasing the Black-Caped Man

The first minute of this file is identical to the source with instruments changed. It then builds up into a pseudo-dance style remix of the source using some basic synths and sounds right the way through.

It's not a bad idea, so to speak, but the execution of it here is done poorly. The sounds are low quality, there's little care gone into production here. I'd recommend taking this one back to the drawing board, coming up with your own introduction to the mix rather than ripping the first minute straight from the MIDI and working on mastering the mix a little better, making it a bit more creative. As it is, this just sounds like a mediocre attempt at transitioning an ambient piece into a dance piece.

NO

Hahahaha, yeah, I like the original piece but the first :54 is nothing but an instrument swap, which is fucking lame. Then we hit the boom-tss at 1:02 and you've lost me. Change of synths at 2:03 was even worse. Poorly-used samples, a generic groove, and no attention paid to sound balance.

The arrangement ideas aren't mind-blowing and the execution is rather poor, but there's the potential for improvement if you stick around and try to learn more via the ReMixing and Works forums. You did your best after :53 to try and go for 4 or 5 different spins on the source material, and I applaud the effort.

This isn't terrible mind you; an FF7 fan who wasn't picky would be kind of down. But it's a far cry from good. Nonetheless, you at least have potential; keep at it in the community, Dominic.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Conservative approach of the source tune, too conservative. I don't know how much more constantly to say this with the mixes we get. This needs much, much more arrangement. Make the mix your own. Consider expanding the melody, harmony, changing the structure - play with the theme. Try to incorporate at least 30-40% new ideas into the mix interspersed throughout (for starters). You seem to have gotten more and more comfortable as the source went on, but by then it was too little too late. The mix is too repetitive from a compositional level. I also thought the transition to the orchestral section was way too abrupt. The same issue holds for the transition at around 4:00 to the new section.

Production in general is basic as well. There's not much going on here in synth design, or processing to make the mix stand out.

There are good ideas displayed here and there, some of the synths are actually cool, like around the late 3 minute mark, but they were few and far between. Most of the mix had a lot of sloppy moments, and without any kind of production value going on for it that is so critical in this type of electronica hybrid mix...the mix just results in untapped potential. This needs a lot of work. I want to see you submit and improve more. You have the ideas in place, but you just need to focus on bring all these elements together cohesively. Keep practicing and keep reading/participating in the remixing/WIP forums.

NO