*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Save the Queen' *RESUB*

djpretzel

Contact Info

ReMixer name: Uboichi

e-mail: uubjacobson@quicknet.nl

ReMix info

ReMixed game: Final Fantasy IX

Original song: Rose of May

It’s been a while I since posted the first version of this arrangement. When it was rejected the first time, I kinda forgot it. But now I’ve got a new version.

For this Remix I really had to push my computer to its limits, up to a point where realtime playback wasn’t possible anymore. Exporting the audio took me over 20 minutes! The result, although not optimal, was satisfying to me, except the beginning. There’s a lot of noise at the beginning which I wasn’t able to filter out. But I haven’t heard the noise at any other part so I accepted a bad start. I regret that I don’t have the possibility of performing it with a real orchestra, because I have a lot more confidence in my composing and arranging skills than I have in my Remix skills.

But anyway, I pass this one up for the test. I hope you like it.

~Uub

http://members.lycos.nl/uboichi/muziek

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/FF9_psf.rar - 302 Loss of Me - 317 Protecting My Devotion

The beginning sounds all right to me, just sounds like a light drum roll in the background.

Bells that come in at 0:36 sound a little dry, same with the strings that follow up. Most of the instruments in this remix are suffering from a dull and dry sound, which is the problem that a lot of people tend to have. You have some nice piccolo backing around 2:02 and on. Very pretty, but subdued like most of the instruments in this mix. Sounds like the wrong chord at 2:38.

The arrangement ideas are nice, utilising the sound from "Protecting My Devotion" and bringing it down to a slower and more fanfare-ish arrangement. I think it's still a-ways from being OCReMix quality level though. It keeps the same pace throughout the piece, the instruments are dull and dry right the way through. Some of the arrangement ideas are very nice, but it does sound like the piece could benefit from some better mastering. Perhaps you could request that someone takes the piece from you, since your computer is giving you trouble over it, and masters it properly for you? Ask in the WIP forum if you're interested in taking that approach.

NO

The performance felt a bit rigid with the note-to-note movements. The sound quality isn't bad, but certainly dry/exposed like TO mentioned; the track lacks in body and texture the whole way through. Dunno what effects you put on the instruments at 1:58, but it makes the track sounds really flooded.

Yeah, I hear some off-notes around 2:36 and continuing into some of the progression around 2:46, followed by some downright ugly chords at 3:11. Pretty plodding arrangement, unfortunately; it doesn't retain the listener's interest at all for an entire 5:10, and would need a lot of fleshing out to have a chance at passing.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The sequencing is definitely very mechanical, especially with the strings. It sounds like it was composed on sheet music or quantized very strongly.

The string progressions just rubbed me the wrong way. They were too jarring and disjointed. The woodwinds and french horn sequencing was better though. But other than that this is the most basic of orchestrations in my view. I think this would benefit from a heavier double bass as well.

Notes entering were too abrupt in my view. I think if you can edit the attack of your samples that would help a lot.

On the arrangement front, I thought there were good ideas here and there, but on the whole I thought the concepts and ideas brought to the table were a bit too conservative. I also hear quite a lot of questionable and in my opinion, bad notes. By the way, I do like the horn rips. ;)

Production is very lacking here. Everything sounds dry and dull as others have noted. This needs quite a bit of eq work (particularly in the 5000-10000 range), also I would widen the instrument placement, a lot of the instruments sound centered, there's not much attention paid to the reverb/soundstage placement. Everything sounds too upfront. More reverb, and back to front placement would yield much more realistic results.

Keep at it, I think this is promising and has a lot of neat ideas, particularly at the end. But at this point, I feel this needs a lot of fine tuning. NO