*NO* Chrono Cross 'Where Lost Souls Wander'

djpretzel

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 202 "Cleft of Dimension"

Way too synthy, dry and mechanical-sounding, though you were trying to present a nuanced feel nonetheless, which was good. Sample quality is pretty low and the whole track lacks texture. Certainly doesn't help bring out the best in the arrangement, which otherwise had some reasonably good ideas. Not bad for a first sub though.

Hit the ReMixing forum for help in better realizing your ideas, including with free sounds, and get feedback from fans in the Works forum to see if you're going in the right direction. Hopefully your sounds can be upgraded to match the ambition of the arrangement.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, as Larry said this IS good for a first submission. You've got a lot of great ideas, but the production end of this ReMix needs some luv.

You have a pretty mature approach to dynamic contrast.

The semi-dissonant glockenshpiel (or whatever that is) line that quotes the main melody at 1:55 is an excellent touch... the section from this point to 2:35 is my favorite. It's engaging and interesting to listen to, which is what OCR is all about.

However, your samples sound like they're from the sound chip on an N64. Seriously. At one point I thought I was listening to the Zelda:OoT soundtrack or something similar.

Get some better samples and slap on a little more reverb. Also, bring the percussion more to the front..it sounds like they're set up in the auditorium next door ;)

Seriously though, this is a good arrangement that's in dire need of some better samples and some slicker production.

My advice: ask Graylightning for some pointers. He's a cool guy and knows VOLUMES more about how to improve your mix then I do.

NO but please rework and RESUBMIT

I'm enjoying a lot of the arrangement ideas and the orchestration is quite good in general. The ritardandos are handled very nicely too!

The samples are ok. I think the strings are the weakest, especially during the stacatto/detache passages. Like JJT said, the samples are painfully dry. Strings, woodwinds, and brass need more reverb at different levels. They're too upfront and reverb would help the realism factor. I do appreciate that you're trying to simulate stage depth, and I personally love percussion way back in the hall/stage for orchestral mixes, but this is so overboard. It's almost like you have an orchestra a few feet away, then the percussion section is like 100 times (exaggeration) further behind. The spacing is just odd. I'd push the other elements a bit further back and push the percussion forward (from the current state). Also this does need some EQing work. It's very dull sounding. Concentrate on the 5000-10000 hz range, a small boost at 16000 would help, if done minimally.

Additionally I thought the ending was very abrupt.

This definitely has a lot of potential and I too strongly recommend resubmitting, but this needs a lot of polish before you consider doing so. NO for now.