*NO* Mega Man 2 'Fear the Fatal Forest of Wood Man'

Palpable

Tune by MEGAROCKMAN

My name is Thaddeus Jaworsky (vox, keys, lyrics) and my buddy is Nathan Euson (guitar, drums, prog)

I can be contacted at

our other tunes can be found at www.soundcloud.com/megarockman

We arranged the WOOD MAN level of MEGA MAN 2

The track is titled "FEAR THE FATAL FOREST OF WOOD MAN!"

It is of the industrial/metal variety

Song attached to this email in mp3 form

Thanks for listening!

-THADDEUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nhkCByv-E

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, had to listen to this one for a while before coming to this conclusion. The backing track isn't bad, and the section that starts at 0:46 actually has a good deal of promise. The backing behind the vocals is not bad, either, but I believe it is the same for the first and end verse. Overall the track could use some more development of the themes, partly to stretch it out a bit and partly to give the backing a little more oomph. The ending is not super effective either, since it just feels like it cuts off before you get to where you would add that development. It might work if the track was longer, though.

The faster section of vocals at 1:34 are pretty good in terms of really having that metal tone and layer, but I'm not really feeling the rest of the singing. The lyrics are pretty bad, though. I'm guessing you were trying to go for a comedic effect here, but I think it misses the boat entirely and is tasteless.

I'm gonna be harsh, but I'd say scrap most of the vocals (and all of the lyrics) and focus more on developing and fleshing out the song as a whole. Similarly, focusing on the 1:34 section of the vocals and using that sort of tone and consistency for more the track will have a better effect. Good luck!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The guitars feel like they are lacking bite, and the drums are sounding muddy. There is a cool lead buried in there too, I can just barely hear it. The concept is pretty unique, and the performances range from being spot on, to missing the mark wildly. The more death growls were working more for me than the pitched stuff, which sometimes felt like it was being spoken rather than sung, but only partly. Like there were pitches, but they were independent of the song itself. Definitely had an Avenged Sevenfold vibe to the sections, and I think it could work, but the pitches need to be more on.

Overall really creative but in need of a lot of polish productionwise. I think a Workshop visit could really tune this one up.

Also, not sure about the woodman rape imagery. Could definitely do without that. :P

No, please resubmit

Well, what sticks out immediately are that the first verse vocals are too loud on top of the music. Meanwhile from :59-1:34, the source tune's pretty obscured by the screaming. While it was clearly an artistic, purposeful choice, the mixing there was just obliterating the source tune for way too long. 1:17-1:34 was like a contest to see how many screams could be layered to finally snuff out the theme. :lol:

As far as the lyrics mentioning rape and whatnot at 1:59, I'll live. Stupid as hell, in poor taste, and just out for shock factor, but that's all just on a personal level and nothing that would make me reject the track. If you wanna go \m/, who am I to complain?

The ending wasn't horrible, but it sounded like the track just ended when there could have been a minute or two more of development.

Overall the track could use some more development of the themes, partly to stretch it out a bit and partly to give the backing a little more oomph. The ending is not super effective either, since it just feels like it cuts off before you get to where you would add that development. It might work if the track was longer, though.

Yep, while I don't agree with all of her vote, I'm in total agreement here.

Listen, you guys are actually pretty good, so a NO here ISN'T an indictment of you two as artists, and the seeming focus only on what may not be clicking doesn't mean a lot of this doesn't work. The talk about how the lyrics need to go and how this needs a lot of production work aren't really something I agree with, but DA and OA have valid crits as well. I feel that just by developing the arrangement ideas a bit further (instead of ending the track so abruptly) and by tweaking the mixing during the screamo section, that may be enough to better realize the potential of this.

I think what's here MOSTLY works, it's a unique & creative take, but it just needs some additional development and mixing tweaks. Definitely don't be discouraged and see if you can enhance this a little further for the win.

NO (resubmit)