*NO* StarTropics 'Welcome to the Island'

djpretzel

Remixer: GMerriment

EMail: GMerriment@GMail.com

Website: www.rescuerangers.corngillconcepts.com (unrelated to music)

Get song here

Name of Game: Startropics

Name of Song: Welcome to the Island

Comments: Startropics is by far one of my favorite games, and I've always thought it would make an awesome remake with modern technology. So, in the spirit of progress, here's my remix of one of many great themes in the game, up-mixed to orchestral and expanded a touch for variety. Made entirely in Music Creator 2003 with Soundfonts acquired from Hammersound.

--

Rob Cain

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/Startropics.zip - Track 3

The percussion pattern was very plain and drags the track back; let's get something more creative there bro. Same goes for the bassline you swiped from the source tune. Play around with the progression there and fashion something unique and varied.

The sounds you got from Hammersound are pretty good (and recognizable in a good way), though they're not used to their best. Everything needs better articulation/realism. The execution wasn't solid at all, but was alright for a beginner.

Only 2:10-long, the arrangement was very underdeveloped, with the fadeout ending doing nothing to discredit that assessment. Use the ReMixing forum here to learn how to achieve a more nuanced sound with your samples and get commentary from the unwashed masses at the Works forum. Work toward really developing the arrangement concepts you had into a lengthier, more meaningful arrangement, Rob.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that the arrangement was on the short side, though we don't have an arbitrary limit on how short a song can be. I think, however, that you need to work on fixing some of the repetition that occurs towards the last 1/3 of the song or so. Vary it up more, change the texture, build up to a climax and then get to some sort of resolution. The production here isn't all that bad so I would just focus on the arrangement and structure for now.

NO